In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Small pistol primers on .45 ACP

Anybody know what the deal is with the recent uptick in small pistol primers being used on .45ACP? It was an occasional occurence (like on Speer training ammo) when reloading to get a small primer case. Now I see about 5 of all types per 100 and it's really annoying. I'd hate to have to sort the silly things.

Possibly related to the current primer shortage?

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has to do with the identification of ammo that is
    "safe for use on indoor ranges". Other than that it loads and shoots just like any other factory 45 acp.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    It will load and shoot the same But is a real PITA if you have a progressive reloading press. I trash all I find Lucky the Bulls-Eye shooters don't use the stuff so most of us have a brass catcher on our shooting Bench .
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45GAP also uses SP primers which made it easier to identify them for those that might have both types and reloaded them (can't imagine an ACP guy considering a GAP though)

Unless you set a GAP and ACP side by side it is hard to tell them apart.

So, now you are saying some genius has added an ACP with SP primers to make thing more confusing???

Great!

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann
    So, now you are saying some genius has added an ACP with SP primers to make thing more confusing???

Great!

Wulfmann

Ya, and it's only been complained about for the last 6-7 years now (IOW someone hasn't been paying attention)
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done quite a bit of reloading but never reloaded 45 ACP since it used to be so cheap to shoot. I am glad this was posted since I never had heard it before. Is there any other calibers that use different sized primers?
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could be wrong but I believe Speer is the only manufacturer that uses a 45acp case that requires a SP primer....if I'm wrong let me know.
    edited November -1
    I have run across other brands but can't tell you what they were because they were trashed as soon as I found them . Berdan primers are also fun in a progressive reloader. I think the 454 also had both small and large primers at one time.
    edited November -1
    2nd gen Winchester NT uses a small primer (the first gen used a LP, but with a large flash hole).
    It was either Frankfort or Lake City arsonal that made some SP 45ACP (they did this to avoid having LP and LR primers being used on adjacent asembly lines)

I have some 38spl cases with large primers, and IIRC the first 357 Mags also used a large primer

The early 500S&W cases are cut for LP primers, the later ones are cut for a LR primer (look for the "R" in the headstamp). Same diameter, different depth.
    308 BR and 30 Americian brass uses SR primers (other than the primer size, they are the same as 308Win and 30-30Win brass).
    US made 7.62x39 cases use both LR and SR primers, depending on weather Rem or Win made them.

I'm sure there are others, but right now I can't think of them.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good information. It sounds to me like it just could be in my best interest to start checking my brass for these little oddities. I had no idea that there were so many calibers that have this. Thanks a lot for all of the replies. I will be passing this information along to friends I have that also reload.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann
    Great!Wulfmann

Ya, and it's only been complained about for the last 6-7 years now (IOW someone hasn't been paying attention)

No one else noticed I missed this but now you have pointed out my incompetence to all the world.
    I will never be able to go out in public again. [:D]
    Thanks for embarrassing me in front of everyone!!!
    I will forever be known as the guy that did not know some 45ACP cases have SP primer pockets.

I will wear a paper bag over my head in shame!!!![8D]

Please note, I have picked up at least 3000 45ACP cases at the range and not a single case has had a SP primer pocket.
    I have yet to actually see one and am pretty sure my Dillon SQDB would have noticed trying to squeeze a LP into a SP pocket.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
    edited November -1
    Wulf
    How's about I swing buy and drop a 45 AR or a 45 Spl case into your case feeder?[:D] I hear that can realy jam up the works too.

While I haven't run across any either (I have run across a fair amount of the large flash hole type) I have noted it when I've seen others mention problems with them
    edited November -1
    My case feeders are my thumb and finger for my Square Deal B.

I did not know there was such a thing as a 45AR case (I just assumed the AR 45 used the 45ACP) but I tend not to pay attention to things I have no interest in and nothing to do with as keeping up with the areas I am involved in are preoccupying my time.

The vastness of my ignorance would be confounding but since ignorance is not knowing something I am not aware of what I do not have any knowledge of so simply do not know anything about the things I do not know exist!!!

Do you know the difference in the training of Luftwaffe jet pilots between the ME-262 and the HE-162????
    Didn't thinks so.
    LOL

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
    edited November -1
    Wulf
    The 45 AR (Auto Rimmed) is used in 45ACP revolvers, so that a moon clip is not needed. The rim is thicker than most revolver rims.
    There is a story on the net of a guy that dropped one into his cousins 1050 case feeder, and a week later (when his cousin still couldn't figure out why his press kept jamming up), got a almost new Dillon 1040 for cheap.
    edited November -1
    AR as in Auto Rim, why didn't I make that connection???

I bought out a custom loader (all his stuff is with virgin brass) and got 150 45AR cases, all factory primed as well as some very nice defensive ammo.

If I remember correctly the 1917 S&W 45 could take 45ACP without a clip (but extraction was one at a time) or could use the clip or could use 45AR. Is that correct???

So I assume the AR carbine that uses 45 uses regular ACP

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
    edited November -1
    Hello Wuff you are like me at our age it takes a little longer for the light to come on but when it does watch out [}:)][;)] Perry Shooter
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre-WWII .45 ACP Frankford Arsenal ("FA") cases used a unique .204 dia. CORROSIVE primer, for the reason stated above.

Rem. 7.62x39 cases use the SP (and are in demand by benchrest shooters using them to form other cases).