In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington bullets

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
Did Remington make a .30 cal 150gr corelokt psp bullet without the cannelure? Thanks for any info. Terrill.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    looking for Remington .44 cal lead semi wad cutter 240 gr gas checked bullets for reloading.
    These were discontinued many years ago , been looking everywhere for these , hope someones got some squirreled away and no longer loads them, thanks

I also posted this in the wanted forum, but thought I might have a better chance of finding them here
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never seen one. If you don't need the cannelure just ignore it. the 150 core-lokt is an excellent hunting bullet, and pretty accurate.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    The 150 gr Core-lokt has killed more deer than any other bullet around. Every guy that I hunt with that does not reload uses the Rem 150 gr Core-Lokts. Years ago when I lived in Pa thats what everyone used up there. Here in SC the store owner I purchase from has told me that he sells more of the Rem Core-Loct than all others combined.

As far as the cannelure, like sap said just iqnore it. If you are working up a hunting load I would always crimp my rounds. Hunting rounds take a fair amount of abuse. I like that bullet crimped into place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still need help on this one. Anymore info is appreciated. Terrill.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About all could add would be that if Remington doesn't list a non-cannelured version, they probably don't make one. For what limited value it holds, I've never seen or heard of one, either.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    338magnut,

No, Remington never did produce, as a normal model, a PSP Core-lokt bullet that didn't have a cannelure. They were all supposed to have cannelures.

However, from time to time, bullets have things done or not done to them that are/are not supposed to be done. i.e. cannelures not added when they should have been. Every major producer of bullets has had this happen. When it does the bullets are usually sold as seconds as it takes more time and money to re-do/smelt them down and make them right. I have Nosler Accubonds and BT's with cannelures and Hornady 55 gr. .224" FMJ's without. Those are all seconds. So, if you've seen them that way, that is probably why. They would be seconds.

I'm not a bullet maker but I would assume that you would have to stamp in the cannelure before you filled the jacket with the lead core. Lead would be too soft and not provide a hard enough backing for the cannelure to be swaged in. On the other hand, I understand that is how Nosler "locks" it's partitions together is by swaging after the cores and jackets have been joined. Like I said though, I'm not a bullet maker and each type of bullet may have it's own peculiarities to manufacture.

-hope hat helps
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Answers my question. Thanks to all for the info. Terrill.
  • Options
    101stguy101stguy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    338magnut,

No, Remington never did produce, as a normal model, a PSP Core-lokt bullet that didn't have a cannelure. They were all supposed to have cannelures.

However, from time to time, bullets have things done or not done to them that are/are not supposed to be done. i.e. cannelures not added when they should have been. Every major producer of bullets has had this happen. When it does the bullets are usually sold as seconds as it takes more time and money to re-do/smelt them down and make them right. I have Nosler Accubonds and BT's with cannelures and Hornady 55 gr. .224" FMJ's without. Those are all seconds. So, if you've seen them that way, that is probably why. They would be seconds.

I'm not a bullet maker but I would assume that you would have to stamp in the cannelure before you filled the jacket with the lead core. Lead would be too soft and not provide a hard enough backing for the cannelure to be swaged in. On the other hand, I understand that is how Nosler "locks" it's partitions together is by swaging after the cores and jackets have been joined. Like I said though, I'm not a bullet maker and each type of bullet may have it's own peculiarities to manufacture.

-hope hat helps
    Just a bit of info for you: Nosler uses two types of crimping grooves; one is called a rolled cannelure, which is where the completed bullet is dropped between a set of rollers and what is called a tooth segment, this actually indents the "rolled cannelure into the bullet. The other type is known as a cut cannelure; this is where a blade actually removes copper from a pre-determined point on the bullet and cuts a groove. Both of these processes are the final step in the manufacturing of the bullet, other than what is known as "tumbling which is purely for cosmetic appearance. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    101stguy,

Thank you for that information. I have always heard the Partitions were cannelured after the core and jacket had been joined. My experience with metalurgy is with aviation and we don't normally use something as soft as the copper and lead core compound. What makes sense to me in one application certainly doesn't in another. I would think then that the machines used to roll or cut the cannelures have a control method to ensure accuracy as the end result. I've been very happy with Remington and especially Nosler for accuracy. It would be very interesting to see these machines in action some day, if I ever get the chance.