In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Match LR primers vs Regular LR

garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
What is the difference between "Match Large Rifle" Primers and Regular "Large Rifle" Primers? (other than the cost)

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be something of a double meaning if I said they are exactly the same.

One meaning being that they are made to the same specifications as the equivalent non-match primer (in any size).

The OTHER meaning is that all match primers of the same type are much closer to being exactly alike - each other. They are much more consistent, in other words.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the past, some employees who were exceptionally talented in the process of charging priming mix into the cup were assigned to run the match primer line. I don't know if current primer production is done by hands-on employees. Technically, the match grade primers are more consistant than standard. Some brands of match primers may have a very slightly less violent burn than standard.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told by Federal that match primers are the same primers but but are quality control checked to a higher standard, what ever that means.

I have used Federal LR and LRM and have not noticed any difference so have personally chosen to not use match primers.

The cover box is nicer on the match, that is a plus for some!!!!

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    99% of shooters have neither the skill or equipment to detect the difference.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In theory they are made a little more consistent than regular primers. So I buy the higher quality control theory.

I also second Mobuck's assessment. Let me relate a personal experience.

1903 Springfield, standard unsorted Remington brass, hand weighed charges of 47 gr of IMR 4895, Hornady 150 gr bullets also sorted by weight. Standard Winchester LR primers. I shot these over a chronograph. Standard Deviation was 9fps. If you aren't familiar with this, it means that every shot was within 9 feet per second of the average. I rather suspect that sorting the cases too would get that down to the 5-7 fps range.

Now these were not match primers, match brass, match bullets, nothing. And while my 03 Springfield is a cherry specimen, it is hardly a bench rest match gun. The gun will shoot about 1 1/2" groups with this combination, or 1.5 MOA.

I have never done the same experiment with match primers, but if standard primers will get you into that kind of consistency- again I'll echo Mobuck's statement. If you are an excellent benchrest shooter with tricked out top notch match grade gun, match bullets, match brass sorted trimmed uniformed etc.... then yes a match primer is worth it. For the rest of us, for hunting, target shooting, and even regular matches- certainly those out to 300 yards- reloading technique and proper gun handling (not necessarily in that order)are going to be far more important to tight groups than the last little tweak offered by a match primer.