In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SPEER .38 CAL HALF Jackets

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
I was going through some of my reloading boxes and came across of a sealed box of 1000 Speer 38 cal. half-jackets .355 diameter. I don't want to open the box but what are these and what are these used for?????? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sort of like a gas check but better you have to have the right mould block or lead wire and swage tools.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the weight of the bullets, or are they just the cups?
    If they are bullets, they probably look like these, but the.355 would indicate that they are for a 9mm. GREAT bullet!!!
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=275027
    If you decide to use them, use the same data as for a jacketed bullet of the same weight and seat till the jacket disappears just inside the case and use a slight taper crimp.
    If you feel a sudden urge to part with them, let me know please.[:D]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sadly discontinued Speer 146-gr HP half-jacket was a fabulous bullet. It was so soft it would expand like a ripe tomato. Great varmint bullet.

The problem came when people tried to launch them too slow. The half jacket sometimes stuck in the bore because it had nothing to lock it to the core, and the core simply left the gun without it.

But step up the oomph and it was a beaut.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think these are only the cups. I really don't want to open the box as it is sealed. I weighed the box on a postal scale and it weighed just under 2 lbs. Seems to light to be a 1000 bullets. I don't currently own a 9mm so I don't really have any use for them and I don't have a clue as to what they are worth. Thanks again for the replies, Curt
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now if you only knew of a decent auction site, huh?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.