In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pistol powder questions.

I'm loading primarily 40 S&W for a springfield XD tactical. I've been using:

180gr xtp/hp
5.5 Universal powder
loads are 1.125 OAL

also using a winn 180 gr tmj @ 1.130 with the same load.

Really I'm looking to go down in weight but I want more accuracy than anything else, although I'd like to stay at least above the 900 fps range.

I'm not asking for everybody's own homemade recipes but rather your experience with the accuracy of some of the recipes listed with Hodgon, ailiant, lymann, etc..... I just don't want to end up with a shelf full of powder and other supplies that I'll never use.

Thank's for any input.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have had my best accuracy in my 40's with 155 gr bullets and AA5 powder.
  • Options
    blueskiesblueskies Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am particular to Power Pistol, 7.5gr - 135gr bullet
  • Options
    wrdog05wrdog05 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i highly recommend with great results
    155 grn xtp/hp using ramshots zip powder 5.6grn
    and it puts out velocities just over 1000fps and thats the lower end

beginning charge is 5.4 at 1008 to 6.0 at 1120
  • Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Power pistol is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.5gr. Unique powder, 165gr bullet and OAL of 1.120, any SP primer my pet load and works great.
  • Options
    johnnierayjohnnieray Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I,ve got to agree with reloader 44. The 165 gr at 900 is sooper accurate and it,s not bad to shoot a couple hundred rounds at a time. 180,s at 1000'/sec will put my hand to sleep after 100 rounds.
  • Options
    toughmandavetoughmandave Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot USPSA Limited .40 cal major. I as well as about 6 others all load our own with Hodgdon Tite Group, Montana Gold 165g FMJ with 5.3gr. at about 1050 fps. dave
  • Options
    jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see alot of folks have suggested PowerPistol. I have used PP alot in 40 loads between 155 and 165gr bullets. It is a very good load, however, it performs as the name would imply: POWER PISTOL. You get alot of muzzle flash, recoil, and at times seems a bit dirty. I have leaned towards using Hodgdon TiteGroup and HS-6. While I like both and would choose them both over PP, I have to say that my favorite .40 powder is HS-6. Accuracy is excellent with very tight groups. There is no muzzle flash and it burns very clean. The burn rate at about the 75th percentile while PP is about 98th %ile. The slightly slower burn rate is very suitable for a larger cartridge like a 40. This really does create a very 'mechanically' smooth recoil. I cant quite discribe the difference in recoil, but it just feel 'cleaner' and more controlled, yet still crisp. You will feel the difference as well if you shoot them back to back.

I prefer PP for my 9mm loads. I like the faster powders in smaller cartridges and smaller grain bullets. You will be extremely happy with HS-6 or Titegroup.
  • Options
    jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way, I use HS-6 to load the following bullets in .40: Speer GDHP (155gr), Hornady XTP/HP, and FMJs.
    quote:Originally posted by jsurvant
    I see alot of folks have suggested PowerPistol. I have used PP alot in 40 loads between 155 and 165gr bullets. It is a very good load, however, it performs as the name would imply: POWER PISTOL. You get alot of muzzle flash, recoil, and at times seems a bit dirty. I have leaned towards using Hodgdon TiteGroup and HS-6. While I like both and would choose them both over PP, I have to say that my favorite .40 powder is HS-6. Accuracy is excellent with very tight groups. There is no muzzle flash and it burns very clean. The burn rate at about the 75th percentile while PP is about 98th %ile. The slightly slower burn rate is very suitable for a larger cartridge like a 40. This really does create a very 'mechanically' smooth recoil. I cant quite discribe the difference in recoil, but it just feel 'cleaner' and more controlled, yet still crisp. You will feel the difference as well if you shoot them back to back.

I prefer PP for my 9mm loads. I like the faster powders in smaller cartridges and smaller grain bullets. You will be extremely happy with HS-6 or Titegroup.