In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dental Lead

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I just melted down about 7 lbs of dental lead a dentist gave me. It's the litte foil pieces that come off those little xray film tabs. I wouldn't have thought there would be much dross but there was. When I cast it's for muzzleloading so I'd like some pretty soft lead. The amount of dross I removed got me to thinking that the foil isn't pure. Does anyone know what the alloy is? Is there a home method to remove the tin and antimony from lead?

For some reason a lot of dentists and orthodontists I've met seem to same this the foil and will give it away unless they've already promised it to someone else.

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can flux your mix and skim the tin and antimony along with the waste. I too have used dental lead and was surprised at the amount of waste. However, I think dental lead has very little if any tin or antimony. It is easy to miss some of the thin papaer liners with this.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I think what you are seeing is just a function of the form factor of the lead - it has really great surface area per unit weight, so there is a lot of lead exposed to oxidize.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    I think what you are seeing is just a function of the form factor of the lead - it has really great surface area per unit weight, so there is a lot of lead exposed to oxidize.

BINGO!
    flux it twice to get the best results. You will gain very little usable lead from dental film-pacs.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the other hand, you get to call your bullets "Cuspid Killers" or Molar Maulers."

How cool is that?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I learned something useful today. I thought fluxing was to make the tin and antimony blend with the lead.

BPost, you where being funny with the comment about little lead from dental film pacs and were referring toe the paper and plastic parts right?

Rocky, like the humor Cuspid Killers and Molar Maulers. I once dropped a deer by hitting the spine in the neck from behind and then the lower jaw. the molars were a bit messed up. The deer didn't need them anymore.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When two metals melt together into an alloy, they cannot separate. Fluxing is to cause any oxides, dirt or "stuff" that is in the melt to come to the surface so it can be skimmed off. While there might be trace amounts of any of the alloy metals in the floating dross, it would be very minor indeed.

Neither the tin nor the antimony will "come out" of solution any more than salt will come out of seawater on its own.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Well, I learned something useful today. I thought fluxing was to make the tin and antimony blend with the lead.

BPost, you where being funny with the comment about little lead from dental film pacs and were referring toe the paper and plastic parts right?

Rocky, like the humor Cuspid Killers and Molar Maulers. I once dropped a deer by hitting the spine in the neck from behind and then the lower jaw. the molars were a bit messed up. The deer didn't need them anymore.

No not being funny. [:)] Fluxing the mix does dual duties. It helps get the dirt and contaminants that will not alloy with the lead to come to the surface where they can be removed. These thin sheets of lead have a lot of trash on them as a percentage of weight. Fluxing twice, or more, will assure you have all the gunk removed that can reasonably be gotten. There is no way to actually remove the tin and antimony from a mix as far as I know. They are homogenized together tin bonded to lead bonded to antimony. Some tin could be removed by skimming but for the most part an alloy is an alloy.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, it's just oxidation. Skim it off.

It might be possible in a lab environment to purify and seperate the metals back to their original non-alloyed form, but it's nothing you can do with a melting pot. The one exception is if you have a fairly high temperature metal alloyed with a low temp one- for instance zinc/lead. This is a pain anyhow as zinc mixed with lead usually leave wrinkled bullets. You can get SOME of the zinc out if you skim as soon as the lead liquefies, but not all, and you lose some lead that way too.

I relate this just for the info.
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    There is a company in Ohio that gathers used xray films and treats them chemically for their silver, lead etc. They make a fortune doing this.