In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nosler ballistic tip

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
Has anyone got any pros or cons on using the Nosler 140 gr ballistic tip in a 7mm mag for deer size game. Thanks for any info Terrill.

Comments

• Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Got a buddy that uses this rd specifically for whitetails in the Midwest. Says it is the ultimate deer rd. I think hes just tryin' to bust my chops cause I use .270 w/ Rem Core Lokts.

I did buy some 130, 140, and 150 NBT the other day though, so we'll see.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Terrill,
    I think the Ballistic Tip would open too fast in a 7 mag. I've read that anything much hotter than a factory 270 load will make them expand too fast, I don't have first hand experiance. I've had great results with the Accubond, shoots as straight as the Ballistic Tip, and works as good as the Partician, with a better price. I shoot Noslers in all my hunting rifles except the 45-70s. I live in the Cascade mountains in Washington state, Noslers are made in Bend Ore, so it's kind of a natural, been shooting them more than 40 years. Nosler made the first premium bullets I was aware of.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I use 180 gr soft point. I did try some ballistic tip in my 300 win mag of deer once. big mess. just about didnt need to gut the deer. I now stick with soft point unless i'm going for yotes out of season to keep fur
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    but on this note if you have any in .3o I'm looking
  • Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot the nosler ballistic tips in my 270 and they work very well indeed on white tailed deer.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the BT's would be pretty soft for the 7mm mag. Early production of this bullet was quick expanding even in a 7x57 at 2850 fps. Later production is tougher(so I've read) for more controlled expansion. I'm still using a stock of the originals in my 7x57. I'm sure it would put a deer down quick since I have used the Hornady 139 BTSP in the 7 mm mag years ago. It was quick but destructive on the meat. The advantage is flat trajectory and a good hit will down the deer quickly. With the Hornady bullet I've neck shot some deer that didn't give an exit. This gives you an idea of the type of expansion I'm talking about.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I've killed a lot of deer with a 140 Ballistic Tip in my .284 XP-100 and my 7MM saum...
    None have gone more than a foot or so, and 99% of them just went down...
    My .284 pushes them to close to 2700 FPS out of a 15 inch barrel, my 7 SAUM pushes them over 3100 fps, and usually find the bullet in the off side under the skin.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NBT is my go-to hunting bullet in just about ANY chambering. I use them exclusively in my 7MM Mag and they kill like lightning. You pard has a great combination that will work extremely well.

Just a note,..don't go expecting them to not come apart if you shoot at something that is only 30-50yds away,..of course they will make a mess at that point. But they still get it done[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I asked for pros and cons and got what I was wondering about. Thanks to all for the info. Terrill.
  • Options
    AntlerAntler Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the 140 gr. BT in my 7 mag, it was my favorite load for white tail. I'm using a 7-08 these days getting the same great results with the 140BT.

My records show that the accuracy was great with sub MOA groups... when seated in frot of 63 grains of H4831.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    I use a nbt 180gr in my 308,i use this round for ELK every elk has been a one shot kill.I love the NBT it has done every thing I ask of it.
  • Options
    101stguy101stguy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I agree that the BT's would be pretty soft for the 7mm mag. Early production of this bullet was quick expanding even in a 7x57 at 2850 fps. Later production is tougher(so I've read) for more controlled expansion. I'm still using a stock of the originals in my 7x57. I'm sure it would put a deer down quick since I have used the Hornady 139 BTSP in the 7 mm mag years ago. It was quick but destructive on the meat. The advantage is flat trajectory and a good hit will down the deer quickly. With the Hornady bullet I've neck shot some deer that didn't give an exit. This gives you an idea of the type of expansion I'm talking about.
    What you've read is accurate. Later production of the Ballistic Tip bullets have a thicker jacket wall giving the bullets a more controlled expansion at higher "magnum" velocities. These bullets still open fine at lower veolocities as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there any way to tell if the nosler ballistic tips are early production or later production? Thanks again Terrill.
  • Options
    101stguy101stguy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 338magnut
    Is there any way to tell if the nosler ballistic tips are early production or later production? Thanks again Terrill.
    yes, if you have the original box they came in, there is a date stamp on the box. It will be a letter and number code, you can call Nosler and give them that code and they will be able to tell you when those bullets were produced. It was somewhere around 98' or 99' when they started thickening up the jacket walls and the base.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    101stguy: Appreciate the info. I have the original boxes and will call Nosler thanks again. Terrill.
  • Options
    crankyperchcrankyperch Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ballistic tip in a 140,284 at 3000 fps makes a great round for neck shots just above the chest!
  • Options
    PbshotPbshot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I primarily hunt deer in the Southeast and use several calibers throughout the season but have found myself relying more and more on my 7mm rem 700 for CRP and beanfields. The primary reason is I recently swithced to 140gr ballistic tips, this was done for both improvements in long range trajectory and lethality. The lethaliy part was only after observing the performance of this round past 200yds from fellow club members.

The only concern among the hunters is that the round generally yields vary different wound cavities as close range with ballistic tips. However, this is not a close range gun and I don't use it as such.