In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Suggestions for sight picture

IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
I shoot at a 25 yard indoor range. After a couple magazines, my sight picture gets blurry. I dont wear prescription glasses. If I take my safety glasses off, it gets a little better. I have to shoot with one eye closed to get a clear picture. Does anyone have any suggestions. I know a red dot scope would help, but Id rather stay away from them for now. I remember shooting smallbore rifle when I was younger using a black rubber piece next to the rear aperature. But how about for a pistol. Would amber lenses on my safety glasses help. When dry firing in the basement, I dont get blurry, but the target is only 15 ft away. 75 ft is a different story. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello distance and lighting between the target and the firing line will have great affect on your sight picture. If the target is brightly lit but firing line is semi dark then your eye will be drawn to the high contrast target. Do NOT close one eye but rather get a white lens Sight Blocker to put on your hat brim and line up with your off eye so when shooting this will block the target to your non shooting eye . Or take a piece of scotch mending tape and place on the lens of your safety glasses of non shooting eye. The reason you dont want to close one eye is your brain gets mixed information between your eyes and your pupil will open wider giving you shorter field of focus. YOU may need a set of prescription glasses to shoot inside but not outside . spend the $ for glasses your eyesight is a BIG part of sight picture and you cant shot well buy GUESSING where the front sight is in relationship to the rear sight notch. Put up a target back side toward you the shooter and then look at the sights . fire 10 shots and then take target and look at score more likely then not the groupe size and score will be better with no bulls-eye to look at just the front and rear sights."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I wear glasses, but found my Distance Glasses at an indoor range did not work. I have a set of glasses I'm using right now just right for seeing the computer. With them on I can focus on my Sights but the target is slightly Blurry. I find this works fine for me and made a couple of pistol much easier to shoot.

I did try just using one eye as an experiment. One eye sucked had a very hard time staying on target. As Perry Shooter said.
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    You are forgetting to breath enough. Take deep breaths and this will clear it up within seconds. I stayed at a Holdiay Inn once.
  • Options
    IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ill try the sight blocker. I tried a guys gun with red dot sights, and out of 5 shots, 4 were 10X and the last was an 8. With open sights, im lucky to get 10 out of 20 on the paper. I know it has everything to do with my sight picture. Maybe next time I have the range to myself, Ill mess with the lighting to see if that helps. I dont want to give in to prescription glasses as Ive never needed them before.

Its been awhile, but now that you mention not closing one eye, thats the reason I had a black rubber piece that fit around the rear peep and went out to the left. Maybe thats the reason I am closing my eye, my brain has been trained to look at the sights that way.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It happens to all of us eventually as we age. Try punching a tiny hole through an index card and tape it to the lens of your shooting glasses. Look through the hole and align your sights. A lot of the fuzz should go away. If it works for you, there are commercially made devices for exactly that purpose.
  • Options
    smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem and have found it is my eyes getting dry from not blinking. So I started using eye drops before I shoot and it has really helped me.