In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 / best powder

I have not started reloading for my AR yet & looking at the data that I have from 3 different manuals & the net, I cannot determine what is the best powder to use. Looking for some good tips. I know powder is short as the primers.

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck with Benchmark

I have also used H335
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    I just picked up H335 but I cant find primers.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    AA-2230, H-335, and BLC-2 all work good in my AR'S [;)]
  • Options
    bountyhunter101bountyhunter101 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you. Now all I havta do is find someone with the powder. I got lots of primers & brass.
  • Options
    TommytornadoTommytornado Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also I would figure out what bullet weight do you want to shoot? My buddy likes 55 or 62(might be off a bit on grains) grain bullets in his Bushmaster. Good luck finding the right combo.
  • Options
    M1-30 calM1-30 cal Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will need to know the twist of the rifling in your barrel. If it a colt with a 1 in 7 twist it will string 55 gr. or lighter bullets horizontally. If it is a 1 in 9 (most common)it will do good with anything up to 69 gr. The 1 in 8 barrels seem to be the most versatile across the widest spectrum of bullet weights but they are usually found only on heavy barreled match guns. I use Accurate 2230 powder with good results
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good results with AA2230 and Ramshot Exterminator. Both are clean burning and use around 25 grains per load which is pretty economical. Using a heavier bullet than 55 grains might work better with a slightly slower burn rate powder.
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WW 748. economical and flows well in dandy measure.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    270cowboy270cowboy Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer Benchmark also..
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody try Hodgdon Varget?
  • Options
    jbmoosejbmoose Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The load books offer a lot of different powder choices but they all don't work well with semi-auto rifles. I get good groups with IMR 3031 and IMR 4198 however, they burn too fast and don't allow enough pressure to build to push the carrier bolt back far enough to chamber the next round. Use these for bolt action rifles. Using a slower burning powder like IMR 4895, Win 748, BL-C(2) or Varget works best, especially if your gun is chambered for 5.56 or you plan on loading heavier grain bullets (68 to 75 grains). Yes, Virginia, there is a difference between 5.56 and .223.
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BLC(2) has been loading 5.56's for a long time. Hard powder to beat. Some folks like Varget. Personally I burned all mine up in a pile of gravel. Literally, and on purpose. No offense to those who like it. I have used Benchmark and it is quite the speed demon. But, my money stays on BLC(2). Cycles well and runs anything from 55 grain pills up to 75.

CC
  • Options
    GUTSSGUTSS Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Colt HBar Elite likes H335 with 55grn V-max.
    These are five shot groups at 100 meters.
    1220071605.jpg
    1220071618.jpg
  • Options
    jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have any of you had personal experience with AA2015 for ARs?
  • Options
    BIG ALBIG AL Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used Benchmark but switched to H 332 tighter groups.Shooting 1and8 twist with 77 gr.match boattail.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i see where no one has used Ramshot TAC, it to meters very well and is good for all bullet weights from 55G. to 75G. personally i am NOT looking for one hole groups from any of my AR's 3" groups at 100 yd. is satisfactory for me and 6" groups at 300 yd. is fantastic, i am referring to human size targets which is a "kill zone", isn't that why most of us are practicing for ? if, when or does come to be.

recall the quote: quote:"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    by Thomas Jefferson.