In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6mmBR with 8 twist and light bullets

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Would 80 grain Berger FB bullets be over-stabilized in an 8 twist barrel? I am getting low on 105 A-Max's and have 500 of the 80 grain Bergers. Do I have to slow them down some to reduce spin or just stuff it full of Varget and go for it?

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Just send the 80gn bullets to me, because that is what my Sako prefers. I don't think you will have a problem with a quality bullet, but if you launch a real light bullet at a real high velocity with too much twist, they can explode when they leave the barrel. I had a friend that did that, and couldn't figure out why the bullets weren't hitting the paper. He put up paper at ten feet, and still no hole. I can't remember the caliber, but the only explanation was bullet explosion.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    No problem at all with the 80 grain Bergers if they will hold together, and they should.....
    Only one good way to find out [:D]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost1958,

I thought you would enjoy reading about a shooter who just set a new NBRSA record using a rifle in your cartridge shooting both the long VLDs and the 80 gr. you're asking about:

"Roger Amos is a long-time friend. We were pleased to see that, while competing at the NBRSA 600-yard Nationals, Roger set a new NBRSA Light Gun 3-target score record of 145-4X. Roger set the record with his 13.4-lb Panda-actioned, 8-twist 6BR, the same gun he shoots in 100/200 yard benchrest matches."

"Fast-Twist Barrels at Short Ranges

Roger tells us that: "I have been shooting 8-twist barrels for several years now at 100-200-300 and they will shoot just as well as a traditional 14-twist (point blank) barrel . IF you use GOOD bullets. I have found that Barts and Fowler 62-68s will stand the extreme rotation associated with 3600+ fps and 1:8" twist. Some bullets can't take it. You just gotta try whatever you have and see for yourself. I have found the most accuracy at 100-200 with the 66-80 grain Fowler bullets or the 80gr Bergers. At 300 yards the 80gr Berger or 90gr Berger BT are excellent! At 600-1000 yards, the Berger 95gr VLDs can outperform the 105s because of their extra speed (although the 95s have a lower BC, their greater velocity can offset the BC advantage of the heavier bullet.)"

Best.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been playing with some 68 Bergers and a top listed load of Varget. No pressure signs yet and accuracy is besting the 105 A-Maxes. I have also tried some IMR 4895 and may be on to something, the groups showing more "roundness" than with Varget.

I found a 500 pack of Barts 68 grain 6MM bullets buried behind some 30 caliber bullets. I plan on testing them over the chronograph at 200 and 300 yards to see how they do. More to follow.