In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 acp crimping

a1cwboya1cwboy Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
Just wanting some opinions on crimping, Ive got .452 230gr rnfmj without cannalure, crimp or not.

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .45 ACP headspaces on the front edge of the case. The only acceptable crimp is the taper crimp, squeezing the case onto the bullet. Folding the case mouth in any way into the bullet is not going to allow correct headspace. I crimp mine to .469" outside diameter, it works in all of my .45's perfectly. Also pay attention to overall length; I set my seating die to a factory round with the 230 gr FMJ round-nosed slug.
  • Options
    a1cwboya1cwboy Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    P.A. Shootist Hit the nail squarely on the head Taper crimp .469 + or - what you want is the case mouth to be about .001-.002 smaller ath the case mouth then 1/4 inch below case mouth The thickness of the case will affect this some-what TZZ and REM-UMC cases are thin FEDERAL and WW as well as WCC MATCH are thicker You want the case mouth taper crimped to allow 100 % feeding without squeezing the bullet and making it undersize to bore.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    +1 to PA Shootist. I adjusted my seater die to a factory loaded 230gr RN. Works great in my pistol.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I shoot .45 ACP's with no crimp, I just close the bell to straight.

With the 9x19, I seat the bullets and close the bell in separate operations, using a carbide sizer to fully close the bell. This can be regulated to provide an extremely slight taper crimp if desired. The belled mouth of the case will contact the inside taper of the die before the case neck immediately below it does, which contains the bullet.