In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Small Pistol Primer

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
I was able to pick up some #200 Remington small pistol primers. I use a Lee auto primer to prime cases and I had forgot that, in their instructions they say not to use these. Has anyone loaded these with a Lee auto primer. What is the deal with Lee saying not to use them at all. Are they really that sensitive?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Really - no one?
  • Options
    jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will go review the Lee literature, but I believe it was Federal primers they warned against using. I will doublecheck, but I do think it was Federal.
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal primers are the ones
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are correct! For what it is worth I primed some 200 plus yesterday. In order to be safe I kept the cover off and did them one at a time. The primer is inside the holder when you start to apply pressure so if it did go bang it would be OK.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple rule of thumb (to preserve your thumbs!)

If primers are packed so that they touch each other in the original box, they are safe to use in tray-type or tube-type priming tools.

But if the primers are packaged in such a way that there is material between each primer holding them a distance apart, then they should NOT be used in any tool where they touch.

The reason is that the priming compound is more or less sensitive to setting each other off if one of them goes. There are two types of priming chemistry. Federal uses the more sensitive one and most others use the less sensitive kind. But the clue to which is which is the packaging.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey - thanks for the info! I figured the real danger was having a "chain reaction" so did them one at a time. Bit slow but works.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    quote:Rocky Raab

USA
    447 Posts
    Posted - 05/17/2009 : 10:54:23 AM

Simple rule of thumb (to preserve your thumbs!)

If primers are packed so that they touch each other in the original box, they are safe to use in tray-type or tube-type priming tools.

But if the primers are packaged in such a way that there is material between each primer holding them a distance apart, then they should NOT be used in any tool where they touch.

WHAT?
    so your telling me i should NOT use winchester primers in my Dillons
    after thousands of rounds and now i learn this
    BULL Sh--
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ummmm, shootlow, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I forgot that Winchester now packs their primers in individual pockets within their packaging. They don't touch, but I assure you they are of the less sensitive priming type I described above. Go ahead and use them as you always have.

Geez, ya try to come up with a simple rule of thumb and somebody always makes an exception. Sheesh!

You MIGHT have found a more polite way to make your point, however.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK what about CCI they are individual packed now also
    sorry if you thought i was rude but i have never been known for sugar coating any thing
    i went through 25,000 + primers last year alone and the statement kinda caught me off guard
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, frog spit. I haven't seen a NEW box of primers in so long I didn't know that. I can only assume that the Goobermint or somebody has tightened up shipping standards again - probably needlessly. If so, I wonder how far apart Federal primers are going to have to be packaged? A foot apart? One box for each primer? What crappola.

That blows my rule of thumb completely out of the mud puddle, doesn't it? Just forget I even spoke up, folks.

New rule: Unless you are using Federal primers, go ahead and use priming tools with trays or tubes. With Federals, use single-primer tools - or just be really, really careful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab
    the reason for the individual pack is 2 fold they separate the primers and when you you are done you have a place to store you MATCH GRADE BBs after you weigh them out [:D]
    hows that [?]