In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44 Remington Magnum

I'm looking for loading data for loading a Lyman 310 grain flat nose cast lead gas checked bullet in the 44 Mag. This will be a hunting load. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    21.5gr. of H-110. Back off 10% or more as you don't say what gun you use. This load is what I use in my Ruger Redhawk and Dan Wesson.
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most manuals I've seen say to not back off more then 10% on H110 loads.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely do NOT back off of H110 or W296 (same powder) loads. Reduced loads can result in hangfires, failure to fire - or the opposite, VERY high pressures. Neither powder is suitable for experimentation. If you can find a tested book load for your exact components, use it EXACTLY as is. If not, it would be far better to choose another powder.

My current (#49) Lyman manual shows a 300-gr GC cast bullet (mould #429650). Cast of an alloy other than pure linotype, it would run a bit heavier, so that's likely the bullet in question. They show 12 different powders. Their loads for H110 are 17.7 to 18.5 grains for right at 1000 fps. Magnum primers are called for.

The same speed can be achieved with 2400 (15.7 gr), W296 (19.0 gr), or either type of 4227 (19.0 gr). They recommend a magnum primer for the W296 and H4227, but standard primers for the others. All the pressures run about 37,000 CUP except for IMR4227 which ran 33,000 CUP. (Using a standard primer with IMR 4227 may be the reason for the lower pressure.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Would it be OK to use standard large pistol primers?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With H110? No. H110/W296 requires a very hot primer, a full charge of powder, a heavy bullet and a firm crimp.

It is a "throttle to the floor" powder but has very specific needs. Those four things are among them.

I personally don't like to use H110/W296 in handgun loads, for those very reasons. I'd much rather use AA#9, 2400 or 4227 for heavy loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I haven't made up my mind about what powder I'll use. That's why I was asking for advice.
    All I have is standard large pistol primers. I use them in my 45 Auto loads. I'm sure they'll fire off a 44 Mag load. [?]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Scott,
    Read what everyone just posted, if the load calls for magnum primers, use them. Your statement of "it'll light them anyway" is not correct, slipshod methods, and substittions will get you in deep trouble.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Scott,
    Read what everyone just posted, if the load calls for magnum primers, use them. Your statement of "it'll light them anyway" is not correct, slipshod methods, and substittions will get you in deep trouble.
    W.D.

Bottom line - A standard large pistol primer will make a 44 Mag round go BANG. Yes, or No?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is correct. It IS "yes or no."

It might, but then again, it might not. In the "might not" column, we have failure to fire, hangfire and what I call spontaneous omnidirectional disassembly.

All of those happen at random. You have no choice.

Care to gamble?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just learned that Winchester large pistol primers say right on the box, "For standard and magnum pistol loads." How does that work?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    That is correct. It IS "yes or no."

It might, but then again, it might not. In the "might not" column, we have failure to fire, hangfire and what I call spontaneous omnidirectional disassembly.

All of those happen at random. You have no choice.

Care to gamble?

I used to load 7mm Rem Mag. I never used a mag primer. Never had any problems.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First, this thread was specifically about 44 Magnum revolver loads, not the 7mm RemMag. Second, the magnum primer issue is specific to one of the recommended powders, H110/W296. In handgun rounds, with that powder, a magnum primer is required. Standard primers can lead to trouble in THAT cartridge/powder combination. I hope that's clear now.

Winchester primers are formulated SPECIFICALLY to work with Winchester powders. They are (in general) hotter than comparable similar primers. So when they say that their primer is suitable for standard or magnum pistol loads, it means just that. They are a good choice for use with H110/W296.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a wincester load manuel. For that round it recommends a wincester or magnum primer and a VERY heavy crimp. So the way I read it wincester primers would be ok for a powder like 296 or 110. Failure to follow this procedure could result in poor ignition and /or a squip load to quote wincester.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've decided that I'm going to use #2400 powder. It produces the highest velocities with the bullet that will be used. Thanks for all your input.
    Looks like you got your feathers ruffled for nothing, Rocky Raab. [?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was more frustrated than ruffled. You at first asked a reasonable question and then practically argued with the replies. Now it seems as though you've answered your own initial post by looking it up - which you might have done all along.

If my assistance is unwelcome, that's fine. I'll simply not reply in the future.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I was more frustrated than ruffled. You at first asked a reasonable question and then practically argued with the replies. Now it seems as though you've answered your own initial post by looking it up - which you might have done all along.

If my assistance is unwelcome, that's fine. I'll simply not reply in the future.

Oh settle down bud. I did pick up a couple of boxes of CCI #350 Large Magnum pistol primers. I also have Winchester Large Pistol primers. I use the Winchester primers in my 45 Auto loads. Thank you for your concern.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Make sure your cast bullets have gaschecks! I learned this the hard way with my Md 29.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    Make sure your cast bullets have gaschecks! I learned this the hard way with my Md 29.

I rarely shoot gas checked bullets. However, this particular mold casts a gas check bullet.