In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun powder

atvguy585atvguy585 Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know where the hell I can get some gun powder? I can't find it online or in stores. I'm looking for Power Pistol. If you, in your experience, know of something better or comparable to power pistol please let me know what you recommend. If you recommend something please tell me why you like it.

I need for the following cal;

38 SPL
45 ACP
40 S&W
9x19
9x17
9x18

Comments

• Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I load for two of the calibers you have listed.

38 Special - I use HS-6 - According to the Lyman cast bullet handbook, it is one of the best powders for the 158 grain cast lead bullets I use.

45 Auto - I use Winchester 231. I originally bought this to load my 32 S&W Long. I found that it works very well with the 230 grain cast lead bullets I make for my 45.

As far as finding any powder, I can't help you there. It will be less expensive if you can find it locally. You won't have to pay the hazmat fee.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Many of the shotgun powders work for pistol. Look for Clays or 700X. I use Clays on 28ga-12ga, .380, .38 spec, 9mm, 45ACP.
    Nice clean powder, my reason is that it's good for all (note I did not say "best")and it eliminates my need for so many different powders.

Powder does not seem to be a problem in my area (OH), just cost of primers and bullets.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hogdon Titegroup works well. Burns clean, not too expensive to buy. cheap to use. Bullseye or unique may work ok but I agree with somebody on here that refered to Hercules (alliant now) powders as "flamable dirt".
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye
    Unique
    Red Dot
    WW 231
    Titegroup
    700X
    and possibly blue Dot
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I haven't loaded the .40 S&W. For the other five I've used a lot of fast to medium powders, to powder sometimes as slow as Blue Dot, but nothing as slow as 2400 or 4227. All of the cartridges gave reasonable high-end performance with Unique, some with Herco, and some were nearly as good with 231. I worked up all-out loads in the .38 Special with Blue Dot.

Power Pistol is my favorite in the 9x19 with 124-5 grain bullets, for which it was actually developed. But Unique has served just about as effectively in the 9.

A good loading manual that has the most current data is where I would start when considering untried powders. I've never used Vitavouhrorwhovovari or Accurate powders, for instance, but I could be talked into it easily.
  • Options
    jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon Titegroup will be probably just as versatile as PowerPistol. I actually like Titegroup more than PP. Is burns cleaner and does not have the extreme muzzle flash that PP puts off. It is VERY efficient powder. A little bit goes a long way and its cheap - 1 lb for about $13.

I really like Hodgdon HS-6 as well, though I like it best for my .40 S&W reloads. My favorite powder for .40 is HS-6 and Winchester's new AutoComp. But if I has to pick one powder across all my calibers it would definitely be Titegroup.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About the only powder I haven't had problems finding is 700x.