In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone shooting .338 Federal ?

4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
I just got a smoking deal on a Sako 85 Grey Wolf this morning on Gunbroker it is chambered in .338 Federal.Has anyone shot or killed any game with this cartridge? What is your opinion of the performance ?

Comments

• 4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. Now I realize why I got such a great deal on the rifle yesterday chambered in .338 Federal. SAKO has discontinued making the model 85 in .338 Federal.So YES it was too good to be true.Now I have a great rifle in a caliber no longer offered GREAT.Guess I'll be saving for a re-barrel later on.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4406v,

I think you're being to hard on yourself and your choice of rifle/cartridge combination.

First and foremost, the Sako M85 is a fine rifle, well made and reliable.

Second, the .338 Federal is the factory version of the older .338-08 wildcat. As such it has already been proven to be a successful cartridge in the field and woods. It may not have the statistics of some of the higher velocity cartridges but it's a worthy cartridge none-the-less. There is a good selection of bullet designs and styles to fit the needs of the hunter.

Third, all manufacturers are cutting back on their offerings in order to maximize their profits. If a cartridge doesn't make the cut, it's dropped in favor of other cartridges which are selling with greater success.

Fourth, not all of us are on the forums at all times. Sometimes it take a few days to get the broader spectrum of opinions and facts. I realize that the ease of access through the Internet makes us all believe that answers should be instantaneous but unfortunately that's not necessarily true. Sometimes it can be helpful to post in more than one forum in order to maximize the responses.

I think it can be a worthy cartridge, especially in areas where woods hunting or shorter range shots are the standard.

Best.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a hundred cases and a set of loading dies and you're set for life! And, if push comes to shove, you can easily make cases from .308 brass. You've got a good rifle, chambered for a good cartridge, discontinued or not. Besides, collector interest always escalates when a rifle/cartridge is discontinued--check out the asking price on pre-64 model 70 Winchesters in .300 Savage, .250-3000, .35 Remington, or .358 Winchester and compare them to .30/06. When they were new, nobody wanted them.
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 338 Federal in the Ruger Hawkeye. like the rifle and the chambering quite well. Haven't shot anything with it so far unless you count paper. Still working up a load for it but it seems to like the 210 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock over H322 pretty well. Recoil is on par with a 308 Win with heavy bullets or the 358 Win. Moderate. Great rifle for out to 200 yards, maybe 250 if you know your rifle.

CC
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to build a Rem. pump in .338 Fed. I load my .308 and .358 Win with W-748 and that will be the first powder I try in the .338 . The first load I tried in the .358 was 50Gr. of W-748 under Speers 220Gr.fp it flattens whitetails like lightening and groups inside an inch at 100 Yds. How about posting what you came up with .
  • 4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am really new to reloading and will probably start out with factory ammo for now.I am in the process of buying a Springfield M1A and this will supply me with .308 brass to resize into .338 Federal.I will be buying the sizing dies etc. to begin experimenting with different loads.
    I am not sorry I bought the SAKO 85 man what a butter smooth action!!! I can't wait to get some ammo and shoot it.Hopefully I'll draw a moose tag this year and really test it out.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy Redding dies you will get an expander button that is tarpered to resize .308 into.338 in one step. Have fun !
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I personally think the .338fed is a great round... Its trajectory is similar to the .308 when useing 185-215 grain bullets.
  • BluemarlinmanBluemarlinman Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought two Model 85 Sako Grey Wolfs in .338 Federal as I collect Sakos and have a couple 75s. The price is well worth it. I may re-barrel the second one or sell it later.
    I reload, so ammo is no big deal. Heck, even reloading componants are becomming available again! I have a BIG wild hog problem here in Texas, and have been using all sorts of gun set ups,(several AR-15s,Browning 270 win BAR,7mm-08 Browning lever action....etc.), and I have to say the .338 Federal knocks them down as well,if not better than any gun I've shot. This morning I shot 3 out of a group of 5, off hand through light brush/grass. The model 85 is slick and the short action cycles quick. All shots were pass throughs and all hogs were 100lbs. plus. The bullet was a 180 grn. nosler accubond.

How do I post photos?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bluemarlinman,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

Instructions for posting photographs are located at the top of the Ask the Experts forum in the Sticky topic titled "Posting Photographs". This is the link:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Best.