In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32 20

ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
Picked up a Colt Army Special in 32 20. All the factory ammo is listed under rifle nothing under pistol. Is new factory ammo safe to use in the old pistol? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, all 32-20 ammo is loaded to pistol pressures. (or lower)
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will read that there were formerly two loads levels: one for revolvers and a MUCH hotter load for rifles. The boxes were even conspicuously labeled as such.

But the "Rifle Only" loads are long gone. Any still in existence are in collectors' hands. New stuff is (as mentioned by the curiously named XXCross) safe for use in your Colt.

BTW, you may find that it is quite loud. The 32-20 and the 30 Carbine in revolvers are enough to peel paint.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my 32-20's. Don't hot load that Army Special though. I have my Grandfathers that he bought in 1912, the year my Dad was born. I have a Colt's date of manufacture booklet if you want to know when yours was made. Production was from 1908-1927. Eddie
  • Options
    ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    I love my 32-20's. Don't hot load that Army Special though. I have my Grandfathers that he bought in 1912, the year my Dad was born. I have a Colt's date of manufacture booklet if you want to know when yours was made. Production was from 1908-1927. Eddie
    Thanks, I already looked it up. It was made in 1921.
  • Options
    wrdog05wrdog05 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has a smith & wesson 32-20 great little pistol and cal. in the right hands. it is getting more difficult to find ammo though.
  • Options
    ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy Pards,

From what I understand, if your Colt has the Verified Proof stamp on the trigergaurd bow the arm is safe to shoot smokeless powder through. I would tell you there is .32-20 handgun ammo, and .32-20 rifle ammo. Obviously you do NOT want to shoot the more powerful rifle ammo thru your vintage Colt. While this may be possible I would not recomend it. I have an old Colt Bisley in .32-20 and boy is it a real flat shooter. Neat cartridge that .32-20.

Shoot Straight,

MW
  • Options
    ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky,

You're right the .32-20 is loud! They used it as the favored round in motion picture production because it sounded good on the audio track.

Shoot Straight,

MW
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ColtDoctor
    Rocky,

You're right the .32-20 is loud! They used it as the favored round in motion picture production because it sounded good on the audio track.

Shoot Straight,

MW
    Coltdoctor, How is a 32-20 blank load louder than a 5 in 1 blank? They surely were not using live ammo in the movies, were they? Eddie
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cabelas in Lacey, WA had some Remington .32/20 high speed for rifles in the rifle ammo section and it states on the box for rifles and the part #32201. Here is some for sale on GB http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129317116

here is an auction for the other Part # 32202 is for pistols and rifles http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129073741
    Hope you enjoy your Army Special--I have one in .38 Spl that was my grandfathers and it is a great old gun.
  • Options
    crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman 3118 sized .313" over 9.0 of 2400.