In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need advice for deer load

wrdog05wrdog05 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I have just bought a new barrel for my .222 rem its a 31" barrel with a 1-7 twist its mainly my varmint rifle but would like too use it on whitetail deer and antelope. Anyone have any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    To light for deer except brain shots. IMO.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    My suggestion would be to get something in the 308 Win class. I know you don't want to hear that. [?]
  • Options
    270cowboy270cowboy Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Against the law in Colorado..
    Must be 243 minimun
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Same in Washington, 243 or bigger.
    W.D.
  • Options
    PbshotPbshot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in the Southeast it's perfectly legal. Several friends use 223 to great success primarily w/ ballistic tips to neck and lungs and some choose soft points. I own a 222 rem and am aware it's almost identical to 223.
    The 223 guys use some 55gr to my knowledge but know a few who load up the 60-79gr stuff and swear by it. Don't know how much this helps you but I'll never critique any round capable of taking down game cleanly.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the heavest bullet that you can launch accuratly? I'd personaly recogmend something like a nosler partation type bullet.

Here in MI, ANY centerfire (and any rimfire larger than 22cal) is legal for deer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Because of my twist rate and barrel length i am capable of shooting up to the max weight of 80grn hornady a-max
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wrdog05,

That's an unusual combination of length and twist rate for a civilian varmint barrel. The military uses that combination but it's one that I thought only a very few of us eccentrics used (mine is 31" [:D]). You could cut it back to about 25" and still have enough length to get the velocity necessary to keep those long bullets stable.

Your twist rate will stabilize the longest bullets available right now, the 90 gr. Berger VLDs, JLK VLDs and the Sierra Match Kings. Obviously it will handle any of the shorter, lighter bullets as well as long as the jackets hold up to the twist. Shorter bullets can be slowed down a touch.

I've used the 75 and 80 gr. AMAX for deer along with the 60 gr. Nosler Partition and even some of the Barnes 70 gr. TSX-BTs and the 75 gr. Swift Scirocco. This is going to depend on the rifling and the velocity you can achieve with the commensurate accuracy required for hunting. Shot placement is critical.

Not knowing who made your barrel or the type of rifling, you're really going to have to run some tests to see what's happy in your barrel. First thing I would do is check to be sure that the twist rate is actually 1:7", not something slightly less.

We can guess which bullets will perform in your barrel but it boils down to actually testing the individual bullets to see what happens on the target at the ranges you will encounter. Expansion tests would be good also but the mediums available to the public are limited. There is a material that Corbin sells and there is something now that comes in a tube but that's all I can think of right now.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

my barrel is being custom made by mcgowen precision barrels out of montana
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wrdog05

With that .222 i think you need a balance of speed and weight. Once you get to the upper end of the bullet spectrum in .224" the .222 case just won't hang with the .223. I recommend sticking with a 60 gr. Partition or Hornady V-max. I know people are going to say the V-max will hit and bounce off a deer but it won't. The fragmenting terminal characteristics of varmint bullets impart a lot of energy into an animal. You need to make sure the shot goes into the vitals though and not a shoulder. Large bones will negate what a varmint type bullet will do.

FWIW, I've shot 18 deer with thin skinned bullets...and never had one even get back up after he got knocked down.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick and Humane is how a sportsman strives to dispatch his quarry . If the deer stand broadside at 100 Yds. in the open the .224 is still marginal for deer . I wouldn't want to trust one with my trophy of a lifetime ! But hey thats just me ,
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to Maine. They'll let you hunt deer with a .22 rimfire magnum.[:D]
    I've hunted deer with .222, but I've also passed up a lot of shots I would have taken with my .257, .270 or .308.
    If you really want to fill the freezer, have limited time in the field, or doubt your ability to pass on that trophy buck because its a bit too far away or presents a poor angle; then go with something bigger. Otherwise, use your .223, and good luck.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by owen219

I disagree. Lots of folks in Texas use a .223 to hunt deer.

Most folks who live in Africa hunt BIG game with a 308..Seriously ask anyone who's been there. American hunters show up with super 460 Weatherby's and still cannot hit the broad side of the barn.

USMC uses the .223 to hunt all kinds of two legged trouble makers.

My point?

I'll take a man who can put a .223 in a running jack rabbit over a yahoo with a 30-06 who doesn't know how to use it.

Practice. Practice. Practice.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are determined to use that rifle, I'll suggest the Hornady 60 grain softpoint. It has worked well in 223 Blackhills loads. Another good bullet is the Speer 70 semipointed. It is listed as a varmint bullet but, at the velocity you will get, it will work great. Biggest problem with the 70 grain is the amount of case capacity taken up by the long bullet. We have killed many deer with these 2 bullets but very carefull shot placement is a must as is skill in following up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DENWA

Most folks who live in Africa hunt BIG game with a 308..Seriously ask anyone who's been there. American hunters show up with super 460 Weatherby's and still cannot hit the broad side of the barn.

My point?

I'll take a man who can put a .223 in a running jack rabbit over a yahoo with a 30-06 who doesn't know how to use it.

The 222 (of which this thread is about) is a different cartridge than the 223. Try to keep, OK? [;)][:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have killed whitetail deer with a 25-35 Winchester, and a 25-36 Marlin. However, neither would be my first choice for an adequate deer rifle. To me, the 243 Win is marginal for deer sized game. JMO
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    It isn't nice to say this, but buy a deer gun. You'll never have to ask yourself or anyone else how to make it to work on deer.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost a nice buck shooting a 22-250 and a Speer 70 gr. bullet. A solid hit, knocked him down, but not enough bullet for the job. Trailed for hours & lost him. Lesson learned, Use enough gun to respect the animal you are hunting. Eddie
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    quote:Originally posted by DENWA

My point?

The 222 (of which this thread is about) is a different cartridge than the 223. Try to keep, OK? [;)][:p]

Nowhere in my post did I say HE was using a .223. I own a .222[:p]

I've never shot a deer with it cause it doesn't shoot well enough.

I've harvested a 250lb boar from the Florida swap with a sharp stick. (although I'd never recommend it)

What's the point of this? Who knows?

Go buy a new rifle and support the US economy.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, I really don't get that some people don't know that dead is dead. Some people think that a 500 WhizBang kills deader that a 22LR. I have said this before, and will say it again...

If one is an ethical hunter, he will take the time to know the limits of his equipment and his own skills, and use them accordingly. This includes proper shot placement. Just let me ask you all a question...How many of you big bore users take the time to put the shot where it belongs...behind the front leg? Or do you just blow thru the leg bone itself instead? If one can kill a deer with stick and string ethically, it damn sure can be done with a 222 Remington ETHICALLY.

Follow the advice of going with a 60 grain partition, or with that twist, one of the heavier bullets, and place the shot BEHIND the shoulder.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nowhere in my post did I say HE was using a .223. I own a .222

I've never shot a deer with it cause it doesn't shoot well enough.

I've harvested a 250lb boar from the Florida swap with a sharp stick. (although I'd never recommend it)

What's the point of this? Who knows?

Go buy a new rifle and support the US economy.

What would a leatherneck know about anything?? [:p][;)][:D][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    You know, I really don't get that some people don't that dead is dead. Some people think that a 500 WhizBang kills deader that a 22LR. I have said this before, and will say it again...

If one is an ethical hunter, he will take the time to know the limits of his equipment and his own skills, and use them accordingly. This includes proper shot placement. Just let me ask you all a question...How many of you big bore users take the time to put the shot where it belongs...behind the front leg? Or do you just blow thry the leg bone itself instead? If one can kill a deer with stick and string ethically, it damn sure can be done with a 222 Remington ETHICALLY.

Follow the advice of going with a 60 grain partition, or with that twist, one of the heavier bullets, and place the shot BEHIND the shoulder.

Best

NO IT CAN'T
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    You know, I really don't get that some people don't that dead is dead. Some people think that a 500 WhizBang kills deader that a 22LR. I have said this before, and will say it again...

If one is an ethical hunter, he will take the time to know the limits of his equipment and his own skills, and use them accordingly. This includes proper shot placement. Just let me ask you all a question...How many of you big bore users take the time to put the shot where it belongs...behind the front leg? Or do you just blow thry the leg bone itself instead? If one can kill a deer with stick and string ethically, it damn sure can be done with a 222 Remington ETHICALLY.

Best

NO IT CAN'T

UHHHH...YES IT CAN. I will reiterate that a misplaced shot no matter what you're shooting is UNETHICAL. I have seen time and time again how a .222 blows jackrabbits apart and leaves 3" gaping holes in coyotes shot from 300 yds away. If you load that little case hot, you have a real killer in your hands. I have also, a number of times when I lived in Montana, found wounded deer and elk right after running into some hunters saying they could swear they hit the animal (but didn't know where). Most of those hunters had magnums or a minimum of a 30-06. I've watched a number of hunters sight in with the "pie-plate" method. Can they put 5 rounds into a pie plate @100 yds. Yes, barely. They they try the same standing shot @ 250 when they're huffing and puffing.

That's ethics. Making sure of your shot whether you're @100 or 1100. Not knowing where you hit an animal when you shot it. I'd seriously have to question myself as a hunter if I couldn't say where. With a .222 You can kill a deer cleanly if you pick your shot and use the right bullet. I also consider it poor ethics to get the big buck by ruining the front half of the meat. I've never found bloodshot meat even suitable for making sausage.

Anyhow, that's my rant. It can be done. If it's done, it needs to be done correctly. Shoot straight, just like every other hunter out there needs to.
  • Options
    rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot placement is the key with any weapon. 222 is fine as long as theirs no brush to shoot through. I personaly would stick with a bullet wieght were the volocity could be kept over 3000fps. 55gr should be managable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rotarymetertec
    Shot placement is the key with any weapon. 222 is fine as long as theirs no brush to shoot through. I personaly would stick with a bullet wieght were the volocity could be kept over 3000fps. 55gr should be managable.

Just a little FYI...there is no mythical caliber, or bullet weight that can or will shoot thru brush without temporarily destabalizing. Actually it has been proven that the faster the twist rate for any caliber, the sooner the bullet will restabalize...but it is not going to be immune from deflection off target.

Best
  • Options
    rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TSR1965 Very true on no perfect bullet for brush, but a heaver weight stands a better chance. The faster twist rate goes out the window for stabaliztion if the bullet deforms, actually makes it worse. Since were talking hunting bullets a FMJ won't be used so any impact with brush will likely deform the bullet causing higher twist rates to deflect faster & futher.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beleive it was Mark Twain that said " It is better to be silent and thought a fool , than to speak and remove all doubt "
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oneoldsap
    I beleive it was Mark Twain that said " It is better to be silent and thought a fool , than to speak and remove all doubt "

That's kind of like implying all of us are fools for expounding upon our opinions. Not to be rude, but you gotta come off the fence with this one. Do you believe it doable and ethical or not?

I personally believe it puts too many restrictions on me to use as a deer rifle. I would personally choose a more powerful rifle. However, I know it can be done ethically if one chooses the right bullet and load and follows good methodology in the field to obtain a good shot. So, if what I had was a .222 for deer hunting that is what I would use.
  • Options
    crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that uses a .222 for deer here in NY (yes, it's legal) and he passes up a lot of shots that I could make with any caliber gun. He waits for the broadside shot and slips the bullet between the 2nd and 3rd rib. He uses a handload with the Sierra 55 grain BTHP and 23.0 grains of BLC-2 with a Remington 7 1/2 primer that I developed for him. He also bowhunts, so patience is no biggie there. IF you can wait and make the shot with no question, use your .222. I personally prefer the Hornady 60 grain protected point (discontinued) over 22.0 of BLC-2 and I shoot for the heart or the ear. I don't like to drag them any farther than necessary because my legs aren't what they should be anymore. I can shoot crows at 350 yards with the old M700 and the Sierra load above.
    PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE SOME MORE! RELOAD! PRACTICE! CB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have two favorate loads I use in the 223 Remington for youngsters. Both perform equally well. One is the 60 grain partition, and the other is the Barnes 45 grain XLC(I bought a stockpile of them when they discontinued them), or the TSX. The Barnes has the slight edge over the Partition, as it retains all of its weight...even when hitting a rib.

Best