In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

12 GA slug reloads

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
What's the word about reloading cast slugs with a shotwad as a sabot for use in rifled barrels? Better or worse accuracy than the store bought? I shoot either a Rem 1100 or NEF with fully rifled barrels.
I know Lee sells a 12 slug mold. Any others available? Any recommendations for hulls, powder and wads?

Comments

• 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee averaged around 7" for me @ 100 yds. Lyman makes one also. Both come with loading data. More here [url][/url]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50799
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks 243Win. Interesting reading. I like accuracy and the other posts on Boolits didn't hold much hope for better than 7" groups at 100. Last week I tested my NEF at 50 with Lightfields to see if the scope was still on. It was. Got about 1 1/2" center to center group for 3 rounds adjusted the scope a couple of clicks to the rights and got a 2 shot group about 1 1/4". For all of the cost to get set up and time I don't have to experiment, I'll stick to the store bought lightfields.

Jim
  • crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried several different loads and powders with the Lee 1 oz. key drive slug in an 1100 smoothbore barreled gun. The loads with the WWAA12SL wad and AA#5 shot the best with the Herco loads a close second. My efforts with the Lyman foster slugs and the shotshell #4 manual loads is still in the working; so far NONE of the loads shoots well in my Browning A5. I have 2 different moulds and may have to buy another to try some of them. NOTHING has shot well in my gun; except Federal factory F127RS loads. I lucked out yesterday and stumbled over 7 boxes of the old red and white load; I almost broke a finger reaching for my wallet. Bambi's dad is in dire peril for the next 10 years or so. HAPPY HAPPY!
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really liked mine when shot from a fully rifled barrel on a Winchester 1300. The rifled choke tube on my 1187 didn't do very well.