In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger SP 101 38/357

Help.... I a looking for a controllable defense load. Any suggestions for bullet weight and powder/weight would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All four of my self-defense guns are loaded with factory ammo. I lean to Winchester Silvertips in 38/357.

Loading manuals have dozens of loads that are recommended for hunting. There are dozens more recommended for target shooting, and yet more recommended for recreational shooting. There isn't even one handload recommended for self-defense. Zero.

I take that as a hint.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Rocky Raab, for self defense, USE FACTORY AMMUNITION! I myself carry a Ruger SP101 .357 MAG and I carry in it Remington .38spl +P 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow points. I carry .38's because that is what I shoot the most when I target shoot.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    There is no reason to keep your .357 loaded with the much less powerful .38 spc. I recomend the Federal Hydro shok with the 125gr bullet. This round has the highest percentage of one shot kills (91%). Get used to the recoil of the round, which is considerable compared to the .38, and then practice with the cheaper .38 ammo. Through the years of pistol instruction I have been asked your question many, many times, and this is my reccomendation. If a person only has one handgun for protection, it should be a .357!
  • hunterXhunterX Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 125 gr gold dots in my snub 38's
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of the SP101s I have seen shoot quite high with a stiff heavy bullet load. Loads with 110s or 125s are usually right on.