In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IDPA

gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
Does anybody here shoot in these events? I'm thinking of getting involved with them, it looks like a lot of fun.
GH1[:)]
www.idpa.com

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Last night I participated in my first IDPA shoot, & I gota say I had wonderful time! The courses were interesting, challenging but doable, and my fellow participants were friendly and supportive. I encourage everyuone to try their hand at this, it's an absolute riot!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We love it. Shot IPSC for years before Hackathorn and Wilson started IDPA. Had some meetings herein Marietta.
    IDPA is more supposed to be more realistic to senerios you might run into.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I shoot our local club IDPA matches. We also use to shoot IPSC untill it got to be an equipment game. IDPA is more practical and race guns are not allowed. It also has revolver classes. It is not an expensive game to get into and you can be competitve with almost any carry gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pearyw
    I shoot our local club IDPA matches. We also use to shoot IPSC untill it got to be an equipment game. IDPA is more practical and race guns are not allowed. It also has revolver classes. It is not an expensive game to get into and you can be competitve with almost any carry gun.

Yeah I gathered from their website, that's what attracted me to it. This tuesday I'm going to a match to spectate and get some more info.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    One tip. When you first start, don't try to match the speed of the experienced shooters. It is important to learn the basic safety rules. Speed will come with practice. Getting disqualified for breaking the muzzle rule by turning toward someone with an empty pistol is depressing and will get you sent home. Safety is the most important thing.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like and shoot IDPA but previously shot and still respect IPSC. I don't get caught up in the IDPA vs IPSC/USPSA "my game is better than your game" debates, you can have fun at both. I think the success of IDPA gave USPSA the incentive to add Production, Limited-10, and Revolver divisions so you can get into their game just as cheaply.

The main thing about IDPA is the stuff you have to do other than shooting, while still being safe, accurate, and (eventually) fast.
    You have to draw from a concealed holster. This should be practiced dryfire until you can do it without getting tangled up. Heck, you should practice getting a gun IN the holster without sweeping yourself.
    You have to shoot from awkward positions behind cover. Your family might think you are nuts for clicking in at the bad guys on TV from around the den doorframe or from behind the Lazyboy but it will be good practice for match day.
    You must reload under time pressure. Too many people turn the gun across their body to reload. This is one source of the "empty gun disqualification" that Pearyw mentions.
    There are a number of rules and procedures that you must observe, based on Bill Wilson and friends' ideas of gunfighting "tactics." Some tacticians disagree, but you must follow the match rules.