In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading questions.

gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
Do I need to worry about case trimming my 38/357 rounds, or is that strictly for bottleneck cartridges?
Will inconsistent lengths not affect crimp?
Do I need to deburr the flash holes & if so how often?
Do I need to lube the cases before flaring? what about installing the bullets, do they need to be lubed? If so, can too much lube ruin the powder charge?
I couldn't find this info in any of my reloading books so if anybody can help me I'd sure appreciate it.
GH1[:)]

Comments

• Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gregoryhart1
    Do I need to worry about case trimming my 38/357 rounds, or is that strictly for bottleneck cartridges?

I'll let someone with more experience with 38/357 loading answer this.

Will inconsistent lengths not affect crimp?

To crimp properly, you need to have all cases of a uniform length. If they are consistent when you get them and shorter than max, you do not need to trim.

Do I need to deburr the flash holes & if so how often?

I've been reloading brass cases since 1967 and have never deburred.

Do I need to lube the cases before flaring? what about installing the bullets, do they need to be lubed? If so, can too much lube ruin the powder charge?

Do not lube the inside of the case neck before flaring or put extra lube on the bullets before seating. If you buy swaged or cast lead bullets, they will have some lube in the grease grooves, but that is to keep the bullet from depositing lead in the the bore, not to make it slip into the case neck. Copper jackets or plating are also there to prevent leading.

I couldn't find this info in any of my reloading books so if anybody can help me I'd sure appreciate it.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people do, but most don't trim straght wall cases
    It will, but not to the amount most people think
    Not for pistol
    Lube befor sizing (it even smoothes out sizing with carbide)
    No need to lube for flaring.
    The only bullets that gt lubed are lead, and most "store bought" lead bullets are pre-lubed.

Now, if your a consistant hig scoring bullseye shooter, you may well treat your brass the same as a BR shooter treats his cases.
    IOW while you need to pay attention, you don't need to get all * about keeping everything perfect.
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading since 1974, and have never trimmed .38/.357 cases!Like FWA, I have never deburred the cases. The only bullets that must be lubed are the cast bullets. FMJ bullets require nothing. If you shoot cast bullets in a .357 I would strongly reccomend they have gaschecks. Gaschecks aren't nec on the .38's.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have been shooting Bulls-Eye matches for over 35 years Most straight walled cases believe it or not actually get shorter not longer from shooting . I have shot in the Master class since 1978 the only time I ever trimmed cases was for a test with some pistols from a Ransom Rest against untrimmed cases . I taper crimp all reloads and the untrimmed shot the same size groups as trimmed cases I use my time for better purpose then trimming straight walled cases. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"