In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to reloading

kingrob71kingrob71 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I've been shooting on a limited basis for years and now getting into reloading. I have a turret press, die sets for both size ammo I will be loading, and a scale (all a gift). Were can I get a good book with illistrations, and a source of reference to begin the process. I'm mechanically inclinded but have even seen someone reload before. If there is a total beginning I'm starting there.

thanks for the help
Oh and I'll be loading ACP.45 and ruger .480 if that helps.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm just starting into pistol ammo reloading...How does one determine the number of times brass can be reloaded? Standard powder charges...Nothing 'hot' or 'wildcat'.

Thanks
    Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am thinking of starting to reload. I dont know what i will need i found this and am planning on getting it what else will i need?

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25237/catid/1/Dillon_Square_Deal___039_B__039_

thanks for your time
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thinking of getting into reloading my own cartridges and doing some research on GB, but no idea where to start. I have 7.62x54r, and if I end up liking it will want to be able to branch out to different calibers. Any tips on where to start? Books to read? Suggested starter kits. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been given a complete reloading setup in .45ACP. Now all I need is pointed in the right direction in getting bullets. Just looking for some can shooting plinker rounds made of lead. 225 grain would be about where I would think I need to be. If not feel free to educate me. I have a source of brass and primers are easy to find.

Thanks for any help for a newbie trying his hand at cutting costs to continue to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    retired, plenty of time, small farm, 25 & 100 yd range, small shop,
    use lee challanger for basic, & lee c frame to seat bullets. hand dip each case, use hp38 powder for 5 handgun cal. use h4895 for 3 mil surplus cal. keep it simple stupid! also cast lead bullets for same. do any other reloaders follow a routine like this?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am molding my own lead bullets, There is a grooved ring all the way around the base. Is there something that should fill it? The lead is already lubed and sized. Have seen some lead bullets with a waxy type substance in this groove before.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you know how to adjust the dies? There is a collar adjustment on most, what is the proper way to set these up and adjust them correctly?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How did you lube them?
    The groove your discribing on this thread sounds like a lube groove, and the "waxy substance" is lube. Depending on what color/hardness your seeing, it could be anything from a beeswax/alox mix up through a hard carnubia wax
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I used Lee liquid alox to lube them and I was told not to worry about the groove I just want to be safe and not hurt anyone or ruin any guns
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    This groove around the bottom of cast bullets is for a gascheck. A gascheck is HIGHLY reccommended if you are loading full house loads.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    This groove around the bottom of cast bullets is for a gascheck. A gascheck is HIGHLY reccommended if you are loading full house loads.

+1[:)]