In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is it better to.......

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Trim rifle cases first or debur the mouth then trim?? Normally I trim first then debur but then that could shorten the case. Figured I would ask the experts. Thanks in advance.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I don't see a choice. Trimming causes burrs. So trim, then de-bur. The de-burring is done with a chamfer tool that doesn't engage the entire case, just the inside or outside edges, so shortening would be a very, very minimal issue.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trim than chamfer. Trimming will usually leave a burr/sharp edge.
    If your chamfering enough to shorten the case, than your taking off to much metal. You only want to take off enough to break the sharp corner (inside and out) while leaving a flat area around the mouth. Considering the mouth wall is normaly in the .010-.015 range, you can see that it's not much of a "chamfer".
  • Options
    Rifleman34Rifleman34 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the above are true and may want to check your overall length also for consistency.