In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloads per pound

justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
I'm not too good at math, so... How many reloads at 7.8 grains per load can you get from a pound of powder?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my calculator should be 897.43589
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are 7000 (avoirdupois) grains in a pound.

7000 / 7.8 = 897. Figure just over 850, maybe 875, counting spillage.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I MUST BE DOING SOMETHING WRONG AS WITH THE PRICE OF GUNPOWDER NOW I MAKE DOGGONE SURE THAT I DON'T SPILL ANY ROCKY.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be aware that many companies have cut down on the amount of powder they put in the container. The label is correct the size of the container stayed the same but the can is not full Trail Boss is a large can with only 1/2 pound Most all V.V. powders are also much less then one pound.The old 20 pound drums of Bullseye started being use for amy thing more then one pound all the way down to 5 pounds before they changed to plastic JUGS .
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trail Boss is so bulky, you can't GET a pound into a standard powder bottle. Vihta-Vouri powders are normally sold by the kilo, so their original bottles held about 2.2 pounds - until US reloaders whined that they couldn't afford to buy that much at a time. So VV reduced the size of their bottles, but still measure it out in grams.

There are still 7000 grains to the pound. That's 437.5 grains to the ounce. Figure it that way if you choose.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to this site www.handloads.com and click on the right hand side calculators...it will be of use
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by justright58
    I'm not too good at math, so... How many reloads at 7.8 grains per load can you get from a pound of powder?
    Thanks.

For future reference, you have a calculator function right there on your computer.[:)]

Click on 1. START 2. ALL PROGRAMS 3. Accessories 4. Calculator should be right there as you scroll down!

Just trying to help, seriously.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen some newer cans come out with less than a pound but they are marked that way...actual weight of the powder in the can.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    karl, isn't that illegal
    to sell a pound of
    powder and actually give less
    without some notice on the jug?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Rong and all others I went back and read my post[:I][:o)] I see I was not very clear. The label does state the correct amount that is in the container it is just that us old F**t's were so used to one pound cans that we never checked the label . I was used to 20 pound drums of Bulls-Eye powder and when I got one that was less then half full but sealed It was a big shock when it had a label stating 8 pounds I saw the price and the size of the drum and thought it was too good to be true and it was [:0]. All I was trying to get across was dont go by the size of the container and past experience. Sorry
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the largest single container of powder than the common carriers will ship is 8 lbs.

As said, a lot of powders are too bulky to get a pound in the standard size container.

I kind of worry about the O.P.
    Handloading is a mathematical process in a number of areas of importance. I have seen a lot of errors of typography, reading comprehension, and misreading of measurement on the internet. Some of them are dangerous, some just lead to inferior ammunition.
    Study up.
  • Options
    Rifleman34Rifleman34 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    News Break everyone Just Right 58 wanted to know how many rounds he can get out of one pound of powder, Not a one pound container..LOL.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy powder and it states 1 pound than it has to there. Just because the can is not full doesn't mean you are not getting a pound. The canister is oversized for filling and expansion. It is like everything else you buy net weight is net weight period.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Karl, I'm and old f#rt,
    i can't even read a post correctly
    rong