In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45/70 Marlin (leveraction) load......

What would be a good load, if I had Remington brass - and Hornady 350grain Jacketed Round Nose to begin with.

And my criterias would be : near full smack load ???

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    You should realy use RNFP bullets. My elk load for my model 1895 Marlin CB with 26" barrel is 59gr H4895, Win WLR primer, 350 gr Hornady RNFP. MV is 2060fps, it kills at both ends, but is the only load I have seen in a lever gun that will knock an elk right off it's feet. In my gun, sighted in dead on at 100yd, it will drop 7 1/2" at 200yds, which is still minute of elk. I live in the Cascade mountains, and since there is no more clear cut logging it is hard to see more than 200 yards, hence this gun and load work real well for me. Don't forget to put a good crimp on your loads.
    W.D.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Well, Remington cases and Hornady RoundNose 350grain is what I have to work with.

I know there are a lot of other things that I would LIKE to work with, but I don't have those options.!

But it sounds interesting. =o)

I'm not looking for anything pleasing to shoot - and I don't mind if it makes every nerve stand on end at each shot.
    I won't be using many in a row.

I'm just looking for something safe AND near max - with those two components as fixed points in the project.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been looking at Cast Performance 420grain - and Oregon Trail 430 Hardcast - both with gascheck.

And just give them one heck of a push - but those are out, and won't be available within my timeframe.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Hello there - I load for my Brother's Marlin 1895 CB, and I use the info from Pet Loads, by Ken Waters. Page 487 lists what you want - about 2/3 of the page down.

I wanted to send you an E-mail, but you have no contact info!!

Send me one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Peter,
    My coment about FP bullets vs roundnose was about safety, not about what you had to work with, and it doesn't matter what kind of brass you use. I guess components are hard to come by in Greenland.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Peter,
    My coment about FP bullets vs roundnose was about safety, not about what you had to work with, and it doesn't matter what kind of brass you use. I guess components are hard to come by in Greenland.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll probably load one in the chamber - and one in the mag of these puppies/loads.
    So, no worries there. =o)

I can normally buy Remington standard 300grain loads, and that's what I've done so far (800 rounds in all)

But I came over a small shipment of .45/70 that was ordered by mistake or sent by mistake - those were Federal 300grain.
    I got those almost too cheap. 17 boxes of 20 at 175 dollars in all.
    I haven't used any of those yet.

I've shot about 260 of the Remingtons - and I've sent them to a friend in Denmark.

We can get Remington, Starline, Winchester brass in Denmark - no problem - but when I have 260 empty once fired brass, I'd rather use those, than buy new.

So that kind of locked the brass.

And Midway Denmark was out on a whole lot of projectiles, and they had enough for us to load up 100-150 with the Hornady Roundnose 300grain.

So that locked the projectile side of it.

But yes, components are hard to come by here - I'd have to import them myself - from anywhere in Europe.

As the laws are right now, reloading is prohibited - but can be allowed if you have a course-certificate from Denmark.
    Showing that you've gone through an instructions course in reloading, teaching people to understand load tables, safety aspects and laws about the reloading-room.

In Denmark there's specific laws about what you may have in the room where you reload.
    All 4 walls and ceiling is to be covered in double 15mm gypsumboard, no unprotected light or powersockets within 6 feet of the loadstation - and if you require light closer, it's either focused halogen - or EX-rated (explosive rated) lamps.

I can't just order, and begin as I please. But such is life.

So I've teamed up with a friend who've gone through the course, and reloads for his own rifles.

Agreement is, if I get 100 cartridges out of the 260 - he can keep the rest of the brass.
    And we'll find out about something else... on top of that. =o)
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Replied to your E-Mail, Nanoq - Hope that fits the bill!

Wear Heavy Clothing!

Big Ugly