In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

25-35winchester load/powder?

ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all, I'm working with a recently rebarreled (24") falling block works actioned rifle chambered in 25-35win. My first choice of powder to try was imr 4320 under a Sierra 90g hp. At 28g it did 2550fps, at 29g it did 2625fps. But at 29g the case was almost totally full and ejection was starting to get sticky. I was hoping for something more like 2700fps so my question is what you all might recommend for the next powder to try. I'm thinking something like imr 4895, but am open to suggestions. I intend to stick with the Sierra 90g hp as the projectile unless the rifle really shows that it doesn't like them. Thanks.....

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are these things called "loading manuals."

I don't mean to be rude, but that's where I'd find any load I might quote you, and you might as well not trust my typing to report that load correctly.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Rocky, I didn't ask about individual loads, I am asking about powder types. I guess you've looked thru your extensive library of reloading manuals and found lots of entries for the 25-35win. But, in my library; Sierra 50th, Hornady vol 3, Speer vol 12, Nosler #4, and Barnes #3 only one lists this cartridge; Hornady for a 60g and a 117g bullet. From these are where I started with imr 4320. But according to my F1 Chrony the velosity isn't what I was hoping for, with the case being full and just starting to show pressure signs. I expect I need to use a somewhat faster powder but am not sure which one to try next under the 90g Sierra HP.....

Tailgunner1954, are you suggesting that I increase the throat length like the Weatherby chambers or something like that?

Bhavin, thank you for the suggestion.

My understanding is that H380 is slower then IMR 4320, but then isn't it normal to have to use a larger measure/weight then with the faster powder? With 29g of 4320 the case is darn near full, so there isn't much room to increase the charge....

Tailgunner 1954, I hear you about the chamber. The last resort idea is to convert it to the 25-35 Ackley improved version. As far as volumetric density, yeah on that also. Unfortunetly the IMR 4320 granual is very small, not a ball, but small. That's one of the reasons I started there. The only ball powder I have any experience with is H335 in my .223rem reloads. And my take on it is that it is about the same as IMR 4320. Is H380 a ball powder and is it enough slower to be a good match up?
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    More likely you need to go to a slower powder, rather than a faster one.
    BTW, the problem is not so much the manual data, but YOUR rifles chamber tolerances. Small differences in throat dimentions can make large differences at the muzzle.

Edit
    No, I'm not suggesting you jack up the freebore (ALA Weatherby). In fact I'm suggesting that you may not be able to get the velocity you want, due to the internal dimentions of your existing chamber.

I've gained/lost (depending on perspective) 270 fps due to a throat being just .003 larger in diameter than it should have been (fixing it cost me an inch of barrel off the breach end)

As far as getting more of a slower powder into a case, it comes down to the "bulk denity" of the given powder. IE: going from a given "stick" powder to a slower "ball" powder will take up less space in the case and yield a larger volume of gas for the same peak pressure.

IOW find a load that groups well, in your rifle, and be happy.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ERN98, my dad uses Hodgdon H380 with 117g Jacketed bullets.
    edited November -1
    I did find a few manuals with 25-35 data, in fact. I'm truly sorry yours don't list it. Listed powders include 4198, 3031, 4895, 4064, 4320 ans even 4350, all in older manuals. With 87-gr bullets, velocities top 2700 fps using 4895, 3031 and 4320.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky, IMR 4895 was one of the next powders I was thinking about trying. Do you happen to know, roughly, how old the manuals that are listing the 2700fps loads are? My understanding is that many older, 30yrs+, manuals reported velosities without being tested over a chronograph and that the velosities are more like estimates.

Thank you again Rocky, I will be starting on the very conservative side and working up in 2g intervals. By using data from the 250sav, which has all kinds of modern data, I am estimating the relative volume/pressure of IMR 4895 as compared to IMR 4320. And no I am not using the actual 250sav volumes. I will then back off my previous 4320 attemt to get a starting place for the 4895. I'm not sure what I will get, but it will be interesting......
    edited November -1
    Oh, it's an oldie, I assure you! I think you'd be wise to take that speed with 3.5 grains of salt. It's from the Lyman/Ideal handbook #40 of 1955. I also checked my copies of the Speer #1 manual and the Hornady #2 (just to show off my shelf of books a little, LOL!).

The Lyman/Ideal loads for 4895 with the 87 JSP began at 25 grains for 2275 fps up to 29 grains for 2700 even. Do be aware that back then they estimated pressures right along with velocities!

BTW, if you find any equally old data for the 25 Remington Rimless round, you can use it also. Case capacities were identical to the 25-35 even though case shapes were not.

In your falling block rifle, be sure to try some Nosler 85 Ballistic Tip as well as Hornady 75 VMax bullets for varmints. Data for 87/90 bullets will work fine for either.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington model 30 (the one built on the civilianized version of the US model 1917) in .25 Remington. I get good velocity and accuracy with IMR4895. I have worked up to 2650 fps with 100 gr. bullets.
    edited November -1
    Thank you one and all for your input.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ern, My Texas Contender carbine likes The 90 gr.Sierra h.p.b.t. with 27 grs. of 3031. It is the most accurate of my extensive testing with powder weight and other powders. OAL is 2.575". The 100 gr. spitzer Sierra boat tail with 27 grs. of 4895 is nearly as accurate. OAL is 2.66". If you like loading the oldies, Ebay always has 1940's, 50's Lyman books. I have Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Reloading that my Father bought new back in the '40's.It has data for all the oldies, plus a lot of other good information. Ken Waters Pet Loads from Handloader Magazine is also a very good source of information. Scan the Ebay HUNTING section. Unlike some, my wife and I have had very good luck buying from Ebay. We have made over 200 purchases. Eddie
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    senior moment, I forgot. wwwreloadersnest.com and wwwgunloads.com. Eddie
    edited November -1
    Thanks elubsme, IRM 3031 was the next powder I was going to try.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's more to finding a good load for an older caliber like .25-35 than just looking it up in a dusty old manual.

First of all, the burning rates and pressure profiles of powders do change over time as manufacturing methods and raw materials change. Did you ever notice how even for modern calibers, the "maximum" load in the latest edition of a manual may differ from that listed in an earlier edition? Or, compare the "maximum" listed in the latest edition of several manuals and you will often find significant differences due to different lots of powder, different lots and brands of bullets, different chamber dimensions, etc. Never, never take as gospel any load from a single source, especially from an old manual.

Second, the variations in chamber dimensions, bore diameteter, etc. from gun to gun is a lot greater for old guns in old calibers than it is in modern guns with modern calibers. Just because a particular load works well in one doesn't mean it will in another.
    edited November -1
    You get no argument from me. That is why I own a chronograph and do a careful load workup rather then just following a recipe. And also why I've been asking about powders.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ern98,

This one may throw ya a little.... Starting load of 27.5 gr. of AA2520 and possibly to work up to 30.8 gr. On the low end you should be around 25-2550. Depending on your rifle (YMMV) you could possibly go as high as 2800 fps. Stop with any sign of pressure. If the lever sticks then back off.

This load was interpolated from a 6.8 SPC load, allowing for the increased pressure of the decreased diameter of the .257 bullet.

Let us know how that works.
    edited November -1
    Varget powder did the trick. 28.7grain behind the 90grain HPBT Sierra is getting me right about 2700fps +/- 15fps. It will do. Thanks all for the help with this......
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ern98,

That's a good thing. If you ever do get a chance to try the AA2520 load let me know. I was flat out impressed with it's ability to produce velocities and not show pressure signs in several small medium sized cases.