In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Case length ???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Why is there a difference between max case lenght and trim length?? If cases should be trimed to a certain length should that not be the max case length?? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually the case becomes a bit longer each time it is fired. Trim-to length is a minimum length; max is to prevent problems like jamming into the lands, the case's contribution to overall cartridge length for feeding, etc. In most cases, if the cases are of uniform length or nearly so, between the min and max you're OK. Some shooters will be more precise, and want every case to be exactly the same, so that crimping, bullet pull etc. will be absolutely identical. The more uniform, the better chance of increased accuracy. Sometimes I have felt the variation between max and trim-to were pretty big numbers, .010" and even more. And I usually don't trim way back to minimum, rather trim to a uniform length based on the shortest cases in my batch.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    +1 with PA SHOOTIST!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually there are 3 case lengths (there are a couple of exceptions to that), MIN, Trim-to and MAX
    Min & max are usually .020 apart, with the trim-to being in the middle. On the exceptions I mentioned, Min and trim to are the same, with max being .020 longer.

Now, your free to trim every time, and with some cartridges you may have to, but most of the time it takes 3-5 firing cycles before the case "stretches" out to the Max dimension.

Letting your cases grow beyond Max can cause the mouth to pinch down onto the bullet. Pinching will cause you to see the effect of severe overpressure rather quickly [:0][B)]
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After testing many cases in 6 different calibers, I find that shooting causes very little stretch ( lengthening ) of the case. Full length Resizing causes the most stretching when the expander ball on the depriming rod is withdrawn. By neck sizing only with bushing dies there is almost no case lengthening. Bob
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zimmden
    After testing many cases in 6 different calibers, I find that shooting causes very little stretch ( lengthening ) of the case. Full length Resizing causes the most stretching when the expander ball on the depriming rod is withdrawn. By neck sizing only with bushing dies there is almost no case lengthening. Bob

+1

Or using a collet type die where the case mouth is resized around a mandrel.

I also lube the inside of the necks a smidge to help slow down case stretch. This also adds a step of cleaning it out once the cases are sized. Lube in the neck during the powder drop stage can make big messes (amazing how many directions 40 little grains of powder can go) and safety issues. And, in most instances, can make your powder perform sub-par.
  • Options
    benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, when does one use a case guage? Would that be when you are just neck sizing? I don't see the point if you use a full sizing die and calipers. Does it help check the diameter of the round for use in a revolver and if so do you need to do that for a semi-automatic?
    Thanks
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Case gages are useful for setting up 7/8-14 sizing dies, checking headspace, base and mouth diameter and rim thickness and OAL of cases.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you trim all the cases in a new bag to the shortest case in the lot's length, you will virtually never have to trim again. I try not to FL size unless a semi-auto is being used.