In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

357 mag reloads-mag or reg primers?

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
I'm just starting to reload for a 357mag revolver; target/plinking loads with jacketed and lead bullets. I have 6 reloading manuals; some of them recommend regular small pistol primers and some say small magnum pistol primers. I would always back off a little is I had to substitute magnum primers for regular primers, but for target velocities or factory duplication loads, any suggestions as to use magnum or regular primers? Thanks

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a manual, most will indicate which to use for different loads a nd powder.
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks brier-3 of the manuals rec. magnum and the other say regular for similar loads with the same bullet/powder. All suggest mag for 296 ball powder which I won't be using. I was just wondering if using mag or regular primers was a better way to start.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've always used Winchester small pistol primers in all my 357 loads, plinking and hunting. Never had a problem, or seen the need for magnum. BUT I never loaded H-110 or 296.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a general rule I use mag. primers with ball powders, standard with flake. That said I've used mag. primers with powders like 2400 and standards with ball powders to no ill effect. Just remember to back off any time you change a component, Especially if you're running full house loads. FWIW I once did a series of chronograph tests with one of my .44 mag. revolvers and moderate charges of 2400.
    Found identical velocity and accuracy by subbing one less grain of powder when going from standard to magnum primers.
    22 to 21 grains of powder when going from CCI 300 to 350 caps.
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies; I just bought a large quantity of 357 brass, bullets and have a lot of 231,2400 and Unique. I was asking about the primers because I will buy a bulk quantity when they become available again and I want to buy the right ones. So it looks like for my target loads I will use the data published with regular small pistol primers. Thanks again.
  • smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    aap2,
    I load alot of W231 on top of Federal 100 primers (SP) for my .357mag's and have never had a problem.