In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Resizing question???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
I am not new to rifle reloading however it has been some time since I have done any. I have recently purchased a new .257 Wby in a new stainless vanguard. The problem is that I purchased a used set of RCBS .257 dies (so stamped) and approx 100 rounds of brass. I set up the dies on my rock chucker as RCBS says to so that it cams over at the top of the stroke (about 1/4" turn after touching the shell holder). After full length resizing and trimming to 2.539" I went to seat some 110 gr accubonds. Thinking the bullet was still out to far I kept turning the seater screw down because the bolt would not close w/o some effort. After so many turns I realized that something was not working correctly. So I put a resized primed case into the rifle w/o any bullet and found that it would not close easily. Is the brass not resized fully or is something else going on?? Factory ammo closes fine in the gun. Thanks in advance.

Todd

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    back the sizing die out some to where the shellholder and die body just barely meet. Try chambering the round again after sizing this way.

it is a 257wthby die not a 257rbts die correct?
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, 257 wbyquote:Originally posted by JustC
    back the sizing die out some to where the shellholder and die body just barely meet. Try chambering the round again after sizing this way.

it is a 257wthby die not a 257rbts die correct?
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a good dial caliper measure a loaded factory cartridge at the neck, at the base above the belt and just below the shoulder. Compare this with the same measurements on a case you've resized. If you have a headspace gage, compare readings of factory round to your resized round.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to paint one stripe with a sharpie from the case mouth all the way down to the belt of the case. Then chamber the case and see what it does. I've had dies that didn't size down at the bottom of the body.

One thing I've done is lightly run the top of the shell holder over emery cloth and take a couple thousandths of an inch off. That pushes the case just a little farther up into the die.
  • glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you continue to have problems even after you have set your dies properly you may need to go to small base dies that will reduce your case size by a few thousandths.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Is your shellholder same brand as die set?
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glockman and Handload,

Yes it is an RCBS shell holder and what exactly do you mean by small base dies?? Thanks for all of the help.

Todd
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small base sizing dies are needed for tight chambers ( slightly undersized ) useful where custom chambers are used. Redding makes these dies. If your tight case is only oversize near the base, milling a few thousandths thickness off the top of the shellholder will allow the die to size the shoulder and base slightly more.
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cam over. keep screwing down the Die after it touches the shell holder and try the empty in the rifle untill the empty cartridge chambers.
    That is what I have to do on my wssm's and wsm cartridges.
  • 336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were the cases you are sizing fired in your rifle? Had a similar situation where I was using some belted cases fired in another gun and the belt had expanded. Just out of curiousity I chucked one up and turned a .001 off the front of the belt and it chambered fine. Seems the other gun had a different headspace that the sizing die didn't address. You might see if that's the case.
  • glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toad67.
    Small base dies are also used for lever actions and semi-autos for easier extraction. With the right dies and the proper shell plate, touching the bottom of the die to the shell plate and then camming over, your casings should be working easily in your bolt action rifle.