In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I need a new electronic scale

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
My RCBS scale crapped out on me after little use. The calibrate button is now a on/off button. I saw more than one review that said that happened to on their RCBS scale. I was brousing the reviews of different electronic scales at midway and there seems to be lots more recent bad reviews than good ones. No suprise with crap that's made in china. So, any suggestions on a new scale? I was went to dillions website and the electronics in their scale are only under a 1 year warranty. I was thinking of one of the combo units but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to spend $250-300 on a new setup and have a pos. I'll take any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Haven't had any problems with my Lyman 1200 DPS II. Wish I had one years ago. Does anyone offer more than a year warranty [?]
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call RCBS, I'll bet they will make it right.
    Pete
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flyingtorpedo,

Electronic scales, no matter how much they cost, are considered to be a throw away commodity. They don't repair them, they replace them. The number of failures and replacements is built into the inflated price of the scale.

Don't ever forget the RCBS guarantee. Do yourself a favor and call Customer Service to see what can be done. They have a great system in place to handle situations such as this. The vast majority of complaints get handled with replacements.

I have 1/2 dozen of these cluttering up my bench but I went back to a high quality beam scale for accuracy and repeatability. The number of 'zeros' after a decimal point does not guarantee increased accuracy, they simply added a couple more LEDs to the display.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know if anyone offers more than a year warranty, including RCBS. I've had it just over a year so it's no longer under warranty. And I don't really want to spend another $20 in shipping fees for them to replace it and have it crap out again in no time. I just don't have much confidence it will last long and don't want to sink more cash into it. It didn't get used much either. I think it got used once in the last 6 months. Was getting ready to do a bunch of reloading and run into this. I have a beam scale but for plinking an electronic scale is just handy to have.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always had good luck with RCBS customer service--they'll even replace bits & pieces that you admit that you lost! (Scale pan, powder meas. spout). As has been said, call them; the worst that can happen is for them to tell you to go fly a kite. 20 bucks shipping is a lot less than the cost of a new scale.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am tending to agree with "nononsense". I am pondering on buying an old fashion scale. These electronic things are so sensetive and who knows what you are getting. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Electroic scale proved to be a pain - it has an accuracy problem with small changes of charge that don't change the reading - went back to a 30 year old beam scale -- works much better.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My PACT combo is a great addition to the bench. (made by RCBS)
  • Options
    cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If $ is no object, try this rig. Everything I can research,hear makes it the cats meow.[:p] http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For $1175 [:0] it better be the best thing since sliced bread!! Way to rich for my blood though. I'm thinking about just sticking to a beam scale.
  • Options
    Gunman760Gunman760 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older RCBS digital scale and powder dispenser. (Old enough that they no longer make it). Had a problem with it, called RCBS who refered me to a place in TX for repairs. 20 or 25 bucks in shipping is alot cheaper than a new dispenser. The scale and powder dispenser were returned about 2 weeks later and everything works fine again. In fact, I've done more reloading since I got it fixed than I did before it quit working. A phone call to RCBS should fix any issues you have with it.

Good luck.