In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pistol vs Rifle primers

44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
Is there acually any difference in pistol and rifle primers. The reason I ask is in 44 mag loads and can reload in rifle or pistol versions. My reload book shows using rifle primers when loading for rifles. So I put it to you what if you loaded 44 mag rounds using rifle primers and shot these in your pistol. Would this work? I have so many rifle primers so why not? So most of you are going to say the burn rate will be different. But will it make enough difference or make the round dangerous? Keep in mind that I load all my 44 mag rounds generally to almost max loads. Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what book you're getting your information from, but Large rifle and large pistol primers are not interchangeable.

Large pistol primers have a height of about .113 inch and large rifle primers are closer to .125 inch. They will both fit in the hole, but the rifle primer in a pistol case gets unduly crushed.
    If you're intending to shoot pistol ctgs in a rifle, then use Magnum pistol primers. No LR primers in a pistol ctg.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

I don't know what book you're getting your information from, but Large rifle and large pistol primers are not interchangeable.

Large pistol primers have a height of about .213 inch and large rifle primers are closer to .225 inch. They will both fit in the hole, but the rifle primer in a pistol case gets unduly crushed.
    If you're intending to shoot pistol ctgs in a rifle, then use Magnum pistol primers.
    No LR primers in a pistol ctg.

Unless your doing 500 S&W, AND the headstamp has a "R" in it. The early cases were cut for the LP primer, and the later ones for the LR.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I info comes from a older hodgen manuel no26
    showing reloading 44 mag pistol cartidges as a rifle load using large rifle primers
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that it matters all that much since the cartridge is obsolete and never very popular, but the .357 Maximum (not Magnum) was designed to use the Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primer. Most anything else would pierce.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose:

Small rifle and small pistol primers are dimensionally the same.
    The cup is thicker on the rifle primer, otherwise there is no
    difference between the two.
  • Options
    Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Not that it matters all that much since the cartridge is obsolete and never very popular, but the .357 Maximum (not Magnum) was designed to use the Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primer. Most anything else would pierce.
    The Max is still available in the Contender/Oncore bbl.
    I don't think anybody mentioned the fact that when using rifle primers in handgun cartridges other than the T/Cs, most revolvers and autos won't fire due to not hitting hard enough to set it off.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    There IS a difference between pistol and rifle primers. Went to the gunshop the other day looking for powder and primers for my new 32acp dies. The NEW owner tried to sell me some sr mag primers in place of sm pis primers. He said they would interchange. Just back off the powder a hair. Anyway I bought some 700X, but not primers. Its kinda hard to back off a HAIR when the MAX LOAD is 2.1gr and MIN is 1.9 gr of 700X. So I loaded the rounds and took them to the range. All were the same except I had substituted Small Rifle Primers in 2 of them. All 47 rounds fired except one of those loaded with the SR Primers. First one fired fine but the second misfired. I looked at the firing pin strike on the misfired round and it appeared the same as the others visually. It did fire the second time. My experiment showed ME that SR Primers need a heavier strike than SP Primers. I wont be using small rifle ones in place of small pistol primers
  • Options
    Rifleman34Rifleman34 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Safety First(Stick to the loaders manual)!!!
  • Options
    cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference is in the cup Thickness. All other dimensions are the same.

It takes a heavier strike to detonate the sr than the sp. It's specifically designed that for a reason. Every cartridge has a pressure spike, small rifle cartridge spikes are typically longer than the small pistol cartridge, with the same applying to the larger variants.
    Take a little closer look at the spent primers of each next time you go to the range. Especially if you have sp standard loads, and sp +P+ and a rifle to shoot them out of. Pluck and drill the spent innards

Your not going to have as much concern with safety going sr to sp, but going sp into a sr case will definitely be a safety concern.

It's not a good idea all the way around unless you are just simply stuck with no other option.

my opinion for what it's worth,
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Large rifle primers substituted for large pistol primers are a no-no from what I have learned. Small rifle primers can be used in substitution for small pistol primers however.

Jon
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    Large rifle primers substituted for large pistol primers are a no-no from what I have learned. Small rifle primers can be used in substitution for small pistol primers however.

Jon

True; but misfires WILL be common as noted above, BTDT; had to increase spring tension on a S&W revolver to assure firing.