In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taper Crimp on .40 S&W

I realize I am getting too needy on here, but I need some EXPERT advice. I just set up my RCBS .40 dies for the first time. I set the taper crimp die to what looks pretty good. My COL is 1.123, and the taper crimp seems good. Here's my question/problem. I used an un primed round to make my settings. When I tried to unseat the bullet in my kinetic puller it wouldn't budge. I beat the hell out of a piece of soft wood to no avail. Does this mean my taper crimp is way too tight, and if it is this tight does it make it dangerous regarding pressures? Please help!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a 40S&W case length gauge?

I would not go any further until you get a gauge and reset the taper crimp to where a reload will drop into it without resistance or help from you.

it may take 3, 4 or even 5 tries to set the crimp die to where the reload falls in freely but over crimping can be dangerous.

you only need just enough the loaded round will go into the gauge anymore is a bad idea
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The taper crimp should be .003-.005 at the case mouth less than the body just under the crimp.
    On the pressure with your tight crimp, it might be too high in the 40.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I'd better re-set my taper die for a looser fit.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    i have been using a lee carbide factory crimp die for my 45acp.
    and just bought one for my 40sw,

this die automatically sizes every round after crimping to insure they will fit any standard chamber,

in short this resizes the loaded case , a bulged case will be sized to fit a std chamber in the case of a cast bullet that was out of specs or a case that was a little thicker then the others.

i have had 0 feed problems with the 45acp using this
    CARBIDE FACTORY CRIMP DIE.

if interested the part number is (lee 90862) this is for the 40sw 10mm i just got in.
    will be trying it out in the next few days.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    partisan,

I'll second what Chevelle427 said about getting a Lee Factory crimp die. They not only do the crimp at the end of the stroke they straighten out the case (and how the bullet sits in the case). I've had both .45 and .40 function through a set of standard dies but accuracy and, especially with the .40, function, increased dramatically.

When I set my seater die I screw the die down onto a test case and lock it off right when it touches. If you aren't going to use a factory crimp die then I usually turn the die in 1/8-1/4 turn and that will crimp plenty enough. Once I have the crimp set, I then turn down the seater plug to the bullet height I want.
  • Options
    craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I`ll Third, Lee Factory Crimp Die.
    Midway has them $15.99.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by craig 25-06
    I`ll Third, Lee Factory Crimp Die.
    Midway has them $15.99.

Me too!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.