In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x39 reload data

odinsonodinson Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
I have a box of Barnes M/LE Tactical bullets. .310" jacketed 108 grain. I can not find any reloading data for these. I am shooting them out of an SKS. I thought I would try out a light bullet just to see how it performs. I would really like to use some powder I have on hand rather than buy (or try to buy) something different.I have: H4198,W296,W231.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Your H4198 will be the powder to go with. Barnes doesn't even list data for that bullet. Hodgdon lists 24.5-26.5 H4198 for a 125gr. bullet. You might start with the starting load with the lighter bullet you have.
    You might give Barnes a call and ask if they have some data they have not published yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With a lighter bullet would I want to use more or less powder as I work to an optimum load?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by odinson
    With a lighter bullet would I want to use more or less powder as I work to an optimum load?

I would try 25 grains of IMR 4198 as a starting point. Reliable operation may require more powder, but it would seem to be a safe place to start.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the help