In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ramshot TAC vs 4895 vs 4064

wolleywolley Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
Since I can't find either 4895 or 4064 and I can get Ramshot TAC how does the TAC compare to the two Hodgdon powders for accuracy?
Looking to use it in my 1903A3 for match ammo.

Comments

• Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been very happy with my ramshot powders.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't tried TAC in .30/06. It is my favorite powder for the .308 with 165 gr. bullets. It is faster burning than H4895 so you'd have to cut your charges by a couple grains.

As a suggestion, you might try XMR2495. My dealer has some and maybe your's does, too. It's in the burn range of H4895 and IMR4895.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use TAC in 308 and 223. It measures great and burns clean. I also use IMR4895 with good results. The main thing I see is that the TAC measures better than the 4895. I have had very good groups with both in both calibers.
  • Options
    benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the TAC ball powder? I am about to load 69 gr Match King in .223. I also just bought a new Dillon press and think that ball powder will work better that extruded stick powder. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a very fine ball powder. All of the Ramshot powders I have used are. It courser than sugar but not by a lot. It measures great in my Dillon.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4895 does not meter well in any Dillon.
    However, if you are going to use it in a Dillon use a magnum powder bar instead of the standard.

TAC will meter very well in any of the Dillons. I use TAC in 223 (I have also switched to RamShot ZIP for my 45ACP, very clean) and while I am sure it is good in 308 I have, well let's say more than enough 4895 to not require looking for a new load.

If I did not I would certainly consider TAC for 308, should be at least very good.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck