In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My first "competition" match today....

mqqnmqqn Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
Hi folks -

I had an opportunity today to shoot in a 22 rimfire rifle event at the Chillicothe Illinois Sportsmans Club.

I used my old Marlin Model 60s with the El Cheapo Tasco "scope" in the hand-held scope division.

Out of 50 targets, I was able to knock down 9!

At least I got one of the prairie dogs that were out at 130 yards....

It is a real "humbler" when you have two guys spotting for you and both of them say "I could not see where that one went" at the same time....

I had a great time, and I will be back with a better scope, and I will do the bench-rest class this time.

The best score I saw today was a 48, a benchrest guy shooting special target ammo from an Anschutz target rifle.

Good time, beautiful day, and I got to help set up a lot of targets.

Next time I hope to help knock down a lot of targets..

best regards -

mqqn

Comments

• Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda like my 1st cowboy match many years ago... I 'thought' I was pretty good with sixguns and a lever action.

wrong on so many levels!

sounds like a real fun day to me,and keep us posted on your next try.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you a member?

I was there last month when they were shooting the rimfire classes. Didn't shoot, I was on one of the other ranges. Although 4, and 5 were under water last month.

As long as you had fun that is all that really matters.
  • mqqnmqqn Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi guys -

Yes - It was a ton of fun and I intend to go back and do this many times again (although I will miss the next one as I will be in Alaska on my motorcycle).

shoff14 - I am not a member but I will apply and see if I can get in this January.

best regards -

mqqn
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mqqn
    Hi guys -

shoff14 - I am not a member but I will apply and see if I can get in this January.

best regards -

mqqn

You shouldn't have a problem getting in. It seems membership is pretty open. I have only been in the area for a year, so this is my first year of membership. Its really a heck of a range. I don't know if there are any better in Illinois or not, but for the price you can't beat it. Its rather easy to get your work hours in too if your willing to spend some time doing it. I already have my hours done for the year.
    I also haven't had much issue with busy ranges. Although there have been people on them, I think the times that I go helps some times.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    If you want an excuse for a new gun, look at the savage 93fv in 22wmr. Mine gives groups right at or just under 1" all day at 100 yards - and 22wmr has the same energy at 100 yards that a 22lr has at the muzzle...
  • skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mqqn
    Hi guys -

Yes - It was a ton of fun and I intend to go back and do this many times again (although I will miss the next one as I will be in Alaska on my motorcycle).

best regards -

mqqn

Practice, is what we all need. You took the first step.

Watch out for the moose on your trip. My friend hit one head on, on his Harley, hospital a couple weeks and a few months of rehab.