In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading for .270 A-bolt

omegassomegass Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
Hi people,
Need some thoughts on a good load for .270 A-bolt I have tried imr 4831 and the 140 gr. sst bullet. Any ideas?
Thanks,
omegass

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR 4831 has worked with in my 3 .270's with both 130 and 150 grain Noslers. The SST 140 has an excellent reputation but I've never tried them. Sounds to me like you have the makings of a good load. Start on the low end and work up carefully.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best groups in my .270 A-bolt have 3 things in common; Alliant Reloader-22 powder, 130 grain bullets, and WLR primers. I have tried Hornady spires, Speer boat tails, and Sierra spitzers and all average 5-shot groups just under 1 3/8" with chronograph velocities of 3100+ fps. I've tried 150 Speer spitzers with Hodgdon 4831 and got four 5-shot groups that averaged 1.4" @ 2946 fps. For something completely different, see if you can find some of the discountinued 170 gr. Speer round nose bullets. With 56 gr. of Hodgdon 4831 (not IMR) I got 2694 fps and 5-shot groups of 1 1/2" in my A-bolt.

Good luck!
  • Options
    omegassomegass Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok guys this is what I got with a new load 52.6 gr of 4831 and 140 gr sst 5 shot groups of 1 1/4 now what I need to know is fine tuning the boss system. I started on the setting that the manual said 3 to 3.5 now what is it as simple as it seems turn out and groups either go bigger or smaller then I should know what direction to go RIGHT?