In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Caldwell Level Level

benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I am switching out some of my scopes. I had bought a Caldwell level level to aid in the process. It seemed to work ok on my Rem. 700 .308, but the rail level would not fit into my Weatherby .243. I tried to "sort of" line up this breech level but it kept falling out and the actual level kept detaching from the little frame. Seems like they would have a smaller frame for a smaller bore firearm. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Place your rifle in a vise
    Place the level across the top of the lower ring half, and adjust the rifle until it reads level.
    Set your scope in the lower half of the rings, and place the level across the "elevation" cap (or remove the cap and use the housing below it)
    Install and tighten your upper ring halfs

Or throw out the level, and use the Mark-1 eyeball that god gave you and adjust the scope until the verticle cross hair is pointing straight down to the centerline of the bore
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hang a line from the target with a weight on the bottom, when it stops moving it will be pointing straight down. Now, match the verticle crosshair to the string.
  • Options
    benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks, in the meantime, I used "my God given eyeball". Actually, I was setting the rifle up for my daughter, so I used her eyeball.
  • Options
    Rifleman34Rifleman34 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about use your own judgement <LOL>