In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 MOA Picatinny Rail

benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
My inexperience is really going to shine here. I bought a 20 MOA rail mount for my .308 to extend my scope's range. I had thought that the angle of the mounted rail would be upward but,in fact, it was downward. There is only one way to mount the rail. So, does it work like the front sight on my AR? If I lower the front shight, I shoot higher? It makes sense, just a case of my logic being 180 deg. off course.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Works just like Iron sights, higher in the back/lower in the front than the bullet impacts higher.
    IOW to get a LR zero, you have to tip the barrel upwards relative to your line of sight
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You got it right. Just like iron sights you either raise the rear or lower the front to raise the point of impact. The lower rail gives your more clicks in elevation in the scope adjustments [;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    benfishin,

And, if you install it the only way it can on correctly, you will have to dial the scope down about 80 clicks to get it to zero @ 100 again. You will also probably lose some L-R movement of the reticle adjustment. When you get up to 300 yds or more it will be normal.

If you need to adjust left or right beyond what the scope will turn just get the dual clamp type rings and then you can adjust them a smidge too.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it points the scope down, so when you look through it and get on target, the barrel is actually pointing more upward than it would with a flat rail, thus increasingn the trajectory. This is why you will have to dial way down in the adjustments to get on target where you used to be zeroed. That effectively gives you more upward travel, so you get more distance out of your scope.
  • Options
    benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That makes sense, thank you.
  • Options
    Rifleman34Rifleman34 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right on target "justC".