In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rusty powder

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Recently found two one pound containers of IMR 4350 that were sealed and stored in a plastic tote. I opened them up and it appears that the cans have some slight rust in them. How would this affect the powder? There doesn't seem to be alot of it but there is definitely some there. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure that the orange, rusty looking tint of the powder means it's bad.. Does it smell acrid?
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why take a chance? Makes good fertilizer - sprinkle it in the garden
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rusty dust in powder is an absolute sign that it has begun to deteriorate. If used, its performance is completely unpredictable.

There are also reports that if left in the can, it may begin to deteriorate at a rate that causes it to get hot. I'll leave the result of that to your imagination.

I had one can of powder go bad in exactly that way: red dust and an acrid smell like vinegar. I immediately scattered it thinly in my garden.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems to smell about like the rest of the other powders that I have around. It looks like only the can is rusting.

Todd
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the rust is on the outside of the can, no problem. But if it appears that the insides are rusting, that almost certainly isn't rust but deteriorating powder. You originally said the cans were sealed, so there shouldn't be any moisture inside of them to cause rusting.

Your choice, but I wouldn't trust my guns or body parts to dubious powder.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I triple dog the motion...powder is bad have fun and burn it up or use it as fertilizer.