In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Using the Lee /case length gauge

benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
Does anyone have a technique for getting the case positioned in the shell holder so that it won't wobble when the drill turns. Everyone here that I ask, just uses it and doesn't pay attention, but it seems any wobble will make the case neck unevenly trimmed.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you are talking about the Lee trimmer, do you have the old primer out. I deprime my cases before and have had no problems with mine. I use mine in a power screw driver and turn it while holding the nut snug. Just make sure you have the pilot in the primer hole [;)][:)]

EDIT,you might be turning the trimmer too fast in a drill motor, and the nut is comming loose.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put it all the way back and tighten it good. It shouldn't wobble then. Make sure you are using the right size holder with it as well.
  • Options
    farmer37farmer37 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by benfishin
    Does anyone have a technique for getting the case positioned in the shell holder so that it won't wobble when the drill turns. Everyone here that I ask, just uses it and doesn't pay attention, but it seems any wobble will make the case neck unevenly trimmed.
    I use the trimmers by hand, most cases need little trimming.I m in no hurry anyway.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I use the Lee Zip Trim. No problems.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I think the design is a bit flawed. I don't get wobble but DO get some that spin out of the lock- it doesn't tighten down enough for some rims from some manufacturers.

No, it isn't the most precise trimming system and for a bench rest gun I'd probably use something else but for everyday shooting it is just fine.
  • Options
    leadburnerleadburner Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved up to the "Three Jaw Chuck",made by Lee.It automatically centers the case and is a bit quicker to use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the three jaw chuck a one piece unit? I looked at the Lee Web site but couldn't make any sense out of the pictures. I also don't understand why I am getting different lengths on my brass if the arbor is pressing against the current chuck in my current Lee trimming device.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ordered a 3 jaw chuck today.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I am using the 3 jaw chuck,but I am coming up with varying length .223 cases. My Sierra Book calls for a trim to length of 1.750 but in the "round" diagram at the beginning of each particular caliber the length is 1.760. So why am I getting varying lengths with the Lee case trimmer? Why the two different lengths listed for the cases in the manual?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'v e used the 3 jaw chuck quite a bit. In fact, I wore one out and Lee replaced it. There will be some variance in length with this process not like the Forster which is very consistent. When using the standard shell holder the ring will wear since it is softer than the spud. Once this happens, it is finished. Cases will slip out or spin crooked causing slightly uneven mouth cuts. Another area of concern is the pin on the cutter gauge. I had one wear off cutting cases shorter than minimum. Not a real problem except with crimping but it can happen.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by benfishin
    OK, My Sierra Book calls for a trim to length of 1.750 but in the "round" diagram at the beginning of each particular caliber the length is 1.760. So why am I getting varying lengths with the Lee case trimmer? Why the two different lengths listed for the cases in the manual?

Do you understand the concept of tolerances? IE: as long a something is between Min spec and Max spec, leave it alone?
    IIRC Min length for a 223 case is 1.740
    Max length for a 223 case is 1.760

Notice that the "trim to" length is halfway between those 2? Ever consider that they do that so that if your a few thousanth's over/under the "trim to" length that your IN SPEC.

Reloading isn't rocket science, it simply requires that you stay inside of a tolerance window
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner, where did you find the data on the minimum length of a .223 case being 1.740? I don't find in any of my reloading manuals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Manuals don't show it, one of my software referances (AccuLoad) shows the SAMMI min' length (along with the Trim-to and Max).
    Note that I said IIRC on that number, as I won't be able to access that program until the weekend.
    As a general rule of thumb, Min is .020 shorter than max and "trim-to" is 1/2 way between them (I can think of one exception and on that one the trim-to is the same as the min and both of them are .929 .020 shorter than max)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. You have a much better memory for numbers than I.
    Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ben
    Accuload 3.04,
    223 Remington
    SAAMI specs

Max Average Pressure: 55000psi, 3792bar, 52000cup
    Overall length: Min 2.165 Max 2.260
    Case length: Min 1.740, Trim to 1.750, Max 1.760
    Head to shoulder length: 1.438