In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Range Logistics

benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I just read the reviews for the Caldwell Lead Sled. I have a similar product from Cabelas. I was just wondering how others get all their gear, guns, ammo., lead sled, weight bags from their car to the shooting line. I am mainly talking about an outdoor range here. Also what do you do about elevating your seat to accomidate for the raised gun position caused by the rest. Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Range I use has height adjustable benches at each station, so that isn't a problem.

I typically carry a rifle case, pistol case, and my range bag. Want to shoot a different gun, I take it back to the car, swap out, and lock up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So the bench is already equipped with sand bags and you use those instead of a rest? Also, I am curious. How does the seating adjust?
  • Options
    smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ranges I shoot on I'm lucky enough that I can back right up to the firing line so I just work off the tailgate. As for a shooting bench, my partner in crime bought a portable bench from Gander Mtn. and the modifications began. The seat was made adjustable via a piece of all-thread, a coulpe of lock nuts, and a wing nut. We also made the table top itself large with a 3/4" thick piece of 7ply hardwood plywood. Basically altered it to work the way we wanted to and adjustable to our needs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bags aren't there, I just use my range bag - its a diaper bag and very sturdy, works for me.

Seating adjustment is easy - the seats are on a central pole for each position - 2x6 or 2x8, with a 3" hole thru one end. Lift seat, pull big bolt out of pole, put bolt back in at proper height, drop seat.

quote:Originally posted by benfishin
    So the bench is already equipped with sand bags and you use those instead of a rest? Also, I am curious. How does the seating adjust?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Parking is some distance from the firing lin at the 2 ranges near me. I actually was looking to see if anyone was using a range cart (sort of like in the cowbot Action shooting. Their carts are somewhat upright to allow for a vertical gun rack. I had a standard cart(wagon) in the back of my mind. If a shooter uses a lead sled, there is no way they can get the firearms, range bag, lead sled, bags of weights and everything else to their table without making 3-5 trips. Of course, you have to do it all over again when You leave. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, so I was looking for ideas.
    Thanks
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Lil' Red Wagon....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd say garden cart instead of current production radio flyer red wagon... 3 50lb bags of gardening stuff bent the living daylights out of the axles of the one we got for our kids a few years ago.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the grandkids plastic wagon to haul everything from my garage to my back yard range. No reason it would not work at the range if you have room in the car or truck.
  • Options
    smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by benfishin
    Parking is some distance from the firing lin at the 2 ranges near me. I actually was looking to see if anyone was using a range cart (sort of like in the cowbot Action shooting. Their carts are somewhat upright to allow for a vertical gun rack. I had a standard cart(wagon) in the back of my mind. If a shooter uses a lead sled, there is no way they can get the firearms, range bag, lead sled, bags of weights and everything else to their table without making 3-5 trips. Of course, you have to do it all over again when You leave. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, so I was looking for ideas.
    Thanks

I do use a gun cart from time to time when I go to shoots. I built it after seeing some friends cowboy carts just like your thinking. 2"x4"'s and plywood scraps, cheap to build and can make it to fit your needs.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lucky me. My "range" is 100' from my back door. At least the 100&400 yard is, the 200 and 300 meter ranges are about 150 yards up the path. I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket which holds the spotting scope and sandbags and my bench is the right height to use the bucket for a seat. For the trip to the other range the bucket goes in the 4 wheeler rack. Makes me appreciate the virtues of living in the wilderness.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Staples, Office Depot, etc- has folding file carts. About $15. The bottom is about the size of those plastic milk bottle crates (folds flat) has wheels, and a pull up handle. Use mine for Range Bag, ammo, sandbags, targets, etc. Think you could fit a Lead Sled in one. Rifles are "sling arms"

When you get back to the truck, unload, cart folds flat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We have two of those, but I didn't think that they would support that much weight.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I Just got a "Sherpa" Folding Game Cart at a garage sale - it is nearly perfect/new, got it for $20 - may be a new use for it, Hauling gear and ammo into the range - it is even nicely narrow, to pass thru behind the Firing Line!