In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever mix gunpowders when reloading

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a friend "back in the day" who used to follow the prescribed formula for loading his .454 Casull. Don't recall the specifics, but it was described as a "tri-plex" load that layered 3 powders in the case: Bullseye and maybe Unique and 2400, but I don't recall. Haven't seen that being recommended in many moons.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    During the 60's I used to shoot with a guy that would take "any" free powder left overs from anyone and throw them in a can, then use a Lee loader to hand load each round, one at a time, at the rifle range. Needless to say we would all move as far away as possible. Every once in a while we would hear him cheer "I got that one on the target".

I often wonder if he's still alive.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only on rare occasions will you ever see duplex loading recommended.
    Sometimes it is used in conjunction with black powder loadings although not with today's black powder substitutes. In no case was it ever used (successfully) with anything but a compressed load. The triplex loading mentioned was a just such a compressed loading.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never had the desire to tempt fate that way. I have heard of duplex loads though that were compressed loads.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    xxcross
    Ever look at a Pyrodex pellet load? The black on one end is compressed black powder, which is used to insure ignition of the rest of the pellet.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    xxcross
    Ever look at a Pyrodex pellet load? The black on one end is compressed black powder, which is used to insure ignition of the rest of the pellet.

I can't say that I have. Never been much into the black powder game. Learn something new every day, eh.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I accidently dumped some Bullseye into a large container of Red Dot. I used the mixture to load up 6 boxes of 12 ga. target loads. No problems with the 95% RD, 5% BE load.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    There are a few recommended duplex loads, yes.

The only one I have used is 3 grains of Sr 4759 and the rest of the case full of black powder FFG for black powder cartridge loads. So far as it goes, fine... but a mag primer will do much the same. Not quite but close.

Otherwise I'd stay away from it. Even with the above, I use only in my Kropatschek and Mauser 71/84 bolt actions, fairly strong guns for what they are and both fine with smokeless as well.
  • Options
    nagalfarnagalfar Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a time when there was the nothing close to the choices of powders we have today, compound powders (mixing 2 different, and sometimes even 3) were pretty popular for a time (they were pretty dangerous most ALL the time)..

When you are watching someone lay his rifle on the ground, and have to physically kick the bolt open.. then mutter something about too much of "this one, or not enough of that one".. Compound reloading during its mindless times..
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kicking the bolt open isn't enough lesson for some. They insist they know what they're doing - until one day the bystanders are searching for a tourniquet ...
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading for 38 years. Many calibers. I would never mix powders. Far to risky because of different burn rates. If I have power that is unidentifyable, it gets flushed. Play it safe. Bullseye is a great powder but can be scary if misused. Imagine what a double charge of bullseye would do. Years ago, I examined what was left of a S&W model 19 that blew up. Investigation revealed he thought he using 2400 when in fact it was bullseye.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duplex smokeless loads was an attempt to extend the pressure curve. Doesn't work!