In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blanks & Bird/snakeshot Loads

leatherbeadleatherbead Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
Can anyone give me some pointers on these two? I want to load some of both in 38 special. Is it possible? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer makes a shotshell capsule just for loading snakeshot loads. They have them for 38 special and are easy to load. I don't know about blanks I've never had any use for them.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dittoes to that. Shot capsules are the ONLY way to go. There is even load data on the side of the box of capsules - but in my experience you get MUCH better results if you don't load them that hot. The faster you launch them, the sooner the pattern breaks up into uselessness. At best, figure one inch of pattern size for every foot of range: at ten feet, the pattern is ten inches wide, and that's about the limit for getting multiple pellets on a pest critter.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I will hunt down a box or two
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention this, but do stick to very small shot. I use nothing larger than 7 1/2 and prefer 9s in these loads. You'd get very few larger shot in the capsules, and the patterns gets large so quick that those few would leave gaping holes.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky has good advice. I use a combo of #8 and #12 shot. You can get the capsules from Midway USA or Graf & Sons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again, Pat
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assume that the effective range of shot loads is half what you think it will be- and you are still probably optimistic. DO use the shot capsules, Unique is a good powder for them, expect groups to "doughnut" at range due to spin of rifling. But they DO make decent snakeshot loads at close range.