In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

would a rock chucker..

Be a good press for a n00b like me to start reloading on?

I have a buddy at work that has offered to give me a rcbs rock chucker reloading press, I have never reloaded and am looking for any pointers, tips and any and all help in general.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber

I have a buddy at work that has offered to give me a rcbs rock chucker reloading press, I have never reloaded and am looking for any pointers, tips and any and all help in general.

Thanks in advance.

ky,

The RC is an excellent choice for someone getting into reloading. I have been reloading for 22 years, and every cartridge I load gets assembled on an RCBS Rockchucker.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude

Thanks in advance.

ky,

The RC is an excellent choice for someone getting into reloading. I have been reloading for 22 years, and every cartridge I load gets assembled on an RCBS Rockchucker.[;)][:D]
    +1 but only for about 20 years...I prefer the older models with the light flat green finish..
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely, 29 years and still going strong.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spoiled myself about 15 years ago with a brand new Rockchucker Master Reloading kit. I've never regretted it. I've loaded everything from .17 Rem and .25 ACP on up to 460 Weatherby. I don't do tons of pistol every night but I get enough done in advance if I'm going to use a bunch. So, I've thought about going with a progressive for pistol only. For rifle I just won't go progressive.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded all my high-power match ammo on a rock chucker.....been doing that for......well, a LONG time ! Stay away from progressives at least untill you have more than a few years into the reloading game.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I am an RCBS and aRockchucker fan I would qualify my opinion with a question for you. What are you going to reload? Rifle, pistol or both?
    The Rock Chucker is great for the larger rifle cartridges but for the small ones and for pistol the press is not as efficient as the RCBS Jr (or the new equivelent) which is a smaller press that requires a smaller stroke. I load 300 win mag on a Jr. The Rock Chucker will size the larger cartridges easier. If it is free I sure wouldn't pass it up.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It's a great press. I too got mine used. I wouldn't pay what RCBS asks for them, especially now that they've outsourced the production overseas, but if you can get one for free or at a good price used, I'd jump all over it.

I probably prefer my Lee Classic Cast slightly to the RC because of the primer disposal tube and 3 point mounting foot (vs. the RC's 2)but that's about it.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yuppers to all. If you're buying a press these days, I recommend the Lee Classic Cast hands down. It has the most proven good features for the lowest price of any press out there. The RCBS RockChucker is the standard by which all others are judged, simply because it was so popular and so good for so long - but today, there ARE no bad presses.

So if you are getting one as a gift, they are all great.

Final notes: the most important reloading tools are the manuals. Buy and thoroughly read at least two, preferably three. The Lyman is superb for teaching the art of reloading. Finally, The current shortage of everything is due in part to millions of people starting to reload. You might not be able to find all you need to actually make ammo for some time yet. Be patient.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Rockchucker is a fine press, I have used one since 1971.
    Free is very good.
    Even if you later get a progressive to turn out lots of blasting ammo, the single stage will always come in handy for precision loading and small batches of nonstandard ammo.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    I would be reloading 44 mags and possibly 5.56 and maybe 30-06; Although I was told 30-06 are a pita to reload.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not go wrong with it! When you decide to get something different, its great to keep around for tinkering with short run test loads. Good Job![^]
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I was told 30-06 are a pita to reload.

[?] Who ever told you that didn't know what they were talking about.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be reloading 44 mags and possibly 5.56 and maybe 30-06; Although I was told 30-06 are a pita to reload.

The RCBS R/C will serve you well loading any of those calibers.

I load all three, and no, the 06 is not a PITA.

I have neither made the switch to a progressive, nor do I not forsee it happening. I know a lot of folks who swear by them, and that's ok, but it would not be advantageous for me to own one, as the case prep methods I use would negate the time saved by using a progressive.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I hope that wasn't me saying that....[:0] I did have a bad set of dies from RCBS. Got another set and all was good. It was too long ago to turn them back in and get credit. I should have done that from the get go but didn't. Not RCBS's fault.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    See my earlier post in regards to RCBS customer service. I have been loading on my Rockchucker for 35 years, and the ONLY failure I've ever experienced is the split primer arm, and as I stated earier, their lifetime warranty is real!
    The RC is great for loading the 30-06 cal!!
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    it is a good press i have one and i also still use my first press as well rcbs jr it is over 30yr old.

FYI build your bench with growing in mind,

mine has
    rcbs RC,
    rcbs JR,
    lee PRO1000,
    MEC 410,20,12
    2 rcbs UNIFLOW,
    1 rcbs ELEC case TRIMMER,
    1 beam scale
    1 rcbs elec scale

I'm running out of room fast[;)]
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    [quote I did have a bad set of dies from RCBS. Got another set and all was good. It was too long ago to turn them back in and get credit. I should have done that from the get go but didn't. Not RCBS's fault.
    [/quote]

i sent a 45acp sizer die back i got 30 years ago.

it would leave scratches in the case when i used it , totally my fault as back in the day i never cleaned the cases, just shot and reloaded them.

they sent me a new one and said try to keep the cases a little cleaner, i don't use it much anymore now that carbide dies have came on the market.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the rock chucker is what I use, one for sizing and one for seating. I see no need for anything else since they treat me well in benchrest matches.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless you 'advance' to a turret or prgressive press,it's the only press you'll ever need,'cause ya just can't wear one out.
    All rifle rounds are harder to load than pistol rounds,because you MUST lube the cases,then clean the lube off,then measure the length and trim as required.Pistol rounds almort never need trimming,and don't 'grow' like rifle rounds do.
    Also,a lot rifle powders are 'stick' shaped and don't meter well,requiring the slower 'trickle' method.
    but hey,it's a great hobby,and if you have lots of time like I do,the minutia ain't no bother,it's just something to do that is fun to do for me.
  • Options
    Briansims8Briansims8 Member Posts: 40
    edited November -1
    As a "noob" myself I have recently decided to go from a lee single stage to a lee turret (thanks to the help from Bubba Jr.) but any good name brand will suite your needs. Most likely being the least experienced person to respond I will tell you that I like a single stage because you can check yourself after every process. I would only do around 50 at a time checking primer seating, powder charge, and bullet seating... be safe. If the press is free; jump all over it... if it is cheap do the same. It will be frustrating at first. but once you get in to it you will fall in love. I am glad to help, just as many people have helped me... please ask, I was hesitant to "bother people" at first but when you get into it you will want to help. just remember to be safe and you will fall in love with it.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Briansims is right on the money! I realize that many reloaders are going to "progressive" reloaders. If you are only loading a couple of hundred at a time, the single stage press will be all you will ever need. Most reloaders reload for cheaper ammo, but most really enjoy the art of reloading. Thirty five years and I'm still using the same Rock Chucker. There is always someone on this site to answer any reloading question, so don't hesitate to ask!