In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rate of twist for a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now that I retired, I have a project in mind, (several, actually),but I'm thinking of re-barreling a Rem, 700 in .270, which isn't selling, to 6.5.
I'm thinking of a Pac-Nor barrel, and I have not talked to them yet, re[ rate of twist, bullet wgts, etc.
I'm not a hunter, (except PD's, if you call that hunting!),I've just heard this is very accurate, soft shooting, etc.
I know I have to open the bolt face, re-stock, etc, but I was a project manager in another life.
Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks; wait till I post the next project!!!
Bill Jordan

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy."

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill Jordan,

The original Swedish Mauser M96 used something along the lines of 1:7.8" twist rate. Since then a variety of twist rates have been touted as the perfect solution for the 6.5mm bullets. Basically a 1:9" twist will handle the standard hunting bullets up to the 140 gr. range. This does not include the longer VLD and target bullets which require a slightly faster twist rate in 1:8".

Opening the bolt face is only required if you use the Scandinavian brass or cartridges. The American companies; Remington, Winchester and Federal standardized on the 0.473" rim which will work with the Remington M700 chambered for the .270 Win. If your intentions involve the Scandinavian brass then the bolt face needs a tiny touch up to accommodate the 0.480" rim.

Pac-Nor barrels are O.K. although they are not as tough as I would like for my rifles. They are reasonably customer oriented though.

The cartridge itself is only as accurate as the rifle, load and shooter. It has the potential of being exceptionally accurate when the best work has been done to create an accurate rifle. Then it's up to the shooter to craft a top load, use the best optics and have the proper rest to achieve accuracy.

If you list the bullets you are considering, we can help you narrow down the twist rate. If not, go with the 1:8" to cover all the bases.

Best.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the kind of info I need.
    Thanks
    Bill
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill Jordan,

I have a 1-8.5" twist barrel that stabilizes up to 140/142 gr. bullets. I've had a couple Pac-nor barrels on my rifles and I have to say I love them for accuracy. But, I never shot either enough to say how well they last vs. other barrel brands.

I don't know if you are into wildcats but honestly with the case taper of the 6.5x55 you may need to do a little rail work to get them to feed right. If I may suggest you look at a 6.5x55 Ackley you may not only get more power from the cartridge, you might have better luck with the feeding of new rounds. Also, if interested in more optimal performance you might try the newer 6.5x47 Lapua
  • Options
    reaverldr6reaverldr6 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I applaud your efforts on the 6.5x55. I have shot pac-nor, Kreiger, and Hart barrels in this caliber. Frankly those barrels shoot better than my eyes can see at 60 + years. The advantage has always been the amount of powder to push the 120-140 grain bullet to 2550 to 2700 ft/sec( meaning 43 grains of smokeless powder +/- versus 52 +/- grains in the 270 win.
    .frankly, I would never have this caliber in in a barrel length less than 24 inches and preferably 26 inches to maximize the ft/sec velocity. IF I was just shooting at paper out to 300 meters I would stay with a bullet under the 140 grain weight . However thanks to Barnes bullets ; their 130 grain copper bullet is not only extraordinarily accurate but deadly on mule deer and white tails out to 300 meters.One shot kills with Barnes bullets are the norm for this caliber in my rifles.
    since each barrel has different harmonics with same hand loads one will need to work up a load based on your purpose in shooting this any particular caliber . THERE IS A difference between 'hunting' loads and 'target' loads given the bullets available today and the cost of reloading. Graf and Sons sporting goods often has a sale on 120 grain nosler ballistic tips in for $12 per box versus 130 grain Barnes Bullets at $34.00 per box.Remember you still have to add the cost of powder, primers and brass cases to this cost even IF your time is free. But then the fun is matching a custom barrel to a reloaded case. Pac Nor's website will give you all the barrel data you need and their recommended twist rate for the bullet weight you wish to shoot. In my experience a custom barrel is best contoured , chambered and fitted to your action at the barrel makers shop. That is unless you can get John King of Kila Montana or Darrel Holland to do the work . Both of these men are true machinists as well as gunsmiths. But after you spend all that money on a custom fitted barrel do not forget to have a pillar bedded stock for for your newly barreled and trued action. A warped stock or one which is not weather/ moisture resistant will adversely affect your shooting capabilities! A well built rifle is more than a joy,.. its a bit of artistry married to a precision tool.best of luck and have fun . rovingggambler6
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run 1:8 twist in both my 6.5x55imp and 6.5-06imp barrels. A good 26" barrel will give accuracy in the 2950-3000fps range with 140-142gr pills.
  • Options
    WayneShawWayneShaw Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have gotten first rate info here. I will only add a couple comments. I have shot 142 Sierra MK at 1000 yard benchrest matches with a 9 twist 260 Remington and had no key holing. I see no reason the Swede can't do the same. If you want to use Lapua brass, it is not that much trouble to turn the case head down some (and open the extraction groove too) to fit the boltface, instead of modifying it. That is what I do with my Swede Rem 700. I have rebated 473 cases to fit a PPC boltface (.440) with great success. The Swede is a much overlooked cartridge, one of the best 6.5's out there.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    I use 6.5x55 ,8.6 twist upto 139gr heads to 600yds , mostly 300yds..very niiiiiice.