In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primers in stock

carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
Just checked widener's they have most Wolf primers in stock. Link here;http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737

Sorry link not taking you straight to the Wolf primers, but click on primers on left side of page, then Wolf at bottom of next page.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Widener's has Wolf primers listed in stock right now, better hurry.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you!

Powder valley said on their website they are getting in a very large order of Wolf primers. Enough to fill all their back orders as of July 1st. So this is a rather good sign of things to come.
  • Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powdervalley also said there will be a %25 increase in prices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrbie
    Powdervalley also said there will be a %25 increase in prices.

Forgot to mention that. I am wondering if that is powder valley's increase, cause wideners seems to have the same price.
  • Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    TommytornadoTommytornado Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are Wolf primers any good? I have never used them and usually stick to CCI and Winchester.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I heard excellent reviews of them so I bought, Have had no problems at all with any I have used. Benchrest guys are using them a lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and ordered 5K small rifle.
  • Options
    Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it's not what we want to do, but if everyone would sit back, take a deep breath, and NOT BUY PRIMERS for 60 days the supplies would be overflowing and prices would come down. As long as we keep rushing to buy 5,000 or 10,000 every time some show up for sale then the prices will remain high due to the demand.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree if evrybody bought what they needed and not stock pile on components and ammo. We would be ok. Isn't 500 or 1000 primers enough in sm rifle? Buying 5000 is crazy. How may years will it take to fire all of those?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44shotdoctor
    I agree if evrybody bought what they needed and not stock pile on components and ammo. We would be ok. Isn't 500 or 1000 primers enough in sm rifle? Buying 5000 is crazy. How may years will it take to fire all of those?

That really depends on what type of rifles you have, what they are chambered in, and what how much you shoot. Its not that hard to go to the range with a couple AR's and put 3-400 rounds down range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My point is to stop buying. Even if that means you stop shooting for a short time. Don't stock pile, don't buy just what you need right now, I mean don't buy at all. It won't take long for that to affect the market.

But I realize that you would never get enough people to go along to make it work. So we have to wait and suffer short supplies and ridiculous prices until every Jack and his cousin has 100,000 primers on the shelf.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    I know it's not what we want to do, but if everyone would sit back, take a deep breath, and NOT BUY PRIMERS for 60 days the supplies would be overflowing and prices would come down. As long as we keep rushing to buy 5,000 or 10,000 every time some show up for sale then the prices will remain high due to the demand.

Just a thought.

I don't consider my buying 5K small rifle primers unusual. I have an AR and an M1 Carbine that I need to feed and don't have any small rifle primers at the moment. Plus you would have to be crazy to pay $22.50 plus $9.50 or so for hazmat+shipping on 100 or even a thousand primers. Especially when locally for me they are not in stock. Sorry boys but I want to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44shotdoctor

I will probably go through my 5,000 primers in a year or two. I am starting to get into 3 gun a bit, and I really want to try and get to Camp Perry one of these days. It takes practice, practice, practice to even hope to be a mid-level shooter at some of these events.
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with both sides: one one hand I would hammer out the dents in used primers and reprime with matcheads (kidding) before I would pay the inflated prices, but I also need to have some on hand to shoot. I always bought in lots of 5,000 mainly to save on shipping, but right now I'm won't buy more than the minimm until the prices stabalize, and they will come down.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    T- The idea is to reduce demand. That means stop buying. Not just unusual amounts but all purchases. I know you want to go shooting. So do I. We all do. But at what cost? If you don't mind $50 primers then buy them and happy shooting. If you would like to correct the current shortage then back off and let supplies catch up. As long as they sell at these high prices why should the sellers reduce the prices?

Econ 101. As long as we keep buying the price will keep going up. When demand slips so will prices. At what price will you stop buying? I say do it now. But that's just me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I paid about $26.70 per 1,000 not including haz and shipping, not crazy to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You make more money than I do. That had to run around $35 with everything and to me that's a lot for primers. I want to see them in the stores at under $25.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And I wish prices would go back to the 1950's but that isn't going to happen. Still is better than what people are asking per 1000 on GB here. Those are crazy to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Right before the great panic of November, 2008, primers were selling for $20-$24 in most locations. There is no reason other than panic for them to be higher now. I don't expect 1950 prices but how about prices that reflect sanity?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You really did have some great prices by you. Around Houston most stores had them for $27 to $30 per 1000. I will bet in a year or so things will settle down.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the prices I saw were over $25/thousand before the elections. But don't blame me for the shortage. I haven't bought any primers in more than a year. But that will have to change soon. Going to need some large pistol and small rifle primers before long.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It really depends on how much you shoot.

If you rarely shoot and are just hoarding 'just because' then you are helping cause the shortage.

Many of us though, myself included, regularly shoot and reload a lot. I personally LIKE to shoot about 500 rounds a week... and that's small beans compared to many.

At that rate, 10,000 is what, 3 months worth? Hardly exorbitant. I like to order 30-40k at a time and wish that I could get some soon. Gota back order at Grafs.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Was just at Cabela's in Lacey, WA - they had none.

Annnd, they said that when they get a shipment, they limit purchases to 1000 primers per customer.
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought CCI SPP at a shop in Pittsburgh, PA and they were limiting purchases to 500 primers; cost was $4.49/100 (about $45/brick). I have backorders with Cabelas and Grafs but I don't expect that those orders will be filled anytime soon.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folks, if some of you can remember, we went thru the same primer shortage when clinton got elected only it was far worse. Passing his * ualt weapons ban did not help the situation either. Power went up as well.

After the election of 1994, primers went to the lowest prices ever, close to a penny each. It is then I stocked up.
  • Options
    tenwalkertenwalker Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about what some people are paying for powder. Some guy just bought five one lb. kegs of Varget on GB. for $126.00 Thats $25.20/lb. I just bought Varget online last week for $19.25/lb. And if you live in a state that has Speedy Delivery the HAZMAT chg. is only $10. If we keep feeding the greedy[}:)], prices will be up when supplies catch up with demand.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tenwalker, agree. Same with powder. You could not find popular powders either. After the election of 1994, powders dropped to record levels. Lets hope we get rid of half of congress and lame duck Obama in 2010 and watch prices drop.