In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loads for 250/3000

tenwalkertenwalker Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
I have a Model 70 Win. Fwt. SA in 250/3000 with a 22" Shilen barrel (1 in 10 twist). I am looking for loads for 100gr. Ballistic tips. Any one have any suggestions. This is the sweetist Whitetail gun ever made but it's going after antelope this Oct.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tenwalker,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

The .250/3000 or .250 Savage is certainly one of the greatest, yet generally unappreciated cartridges in our time. Mild yet accurate and capable of delivering the necessary energy to the target within reasonable distances.

I'm sure that several members will list specific loads however, as you know, your rifle will tell you what works best in it and our loads may not (probably will not) be useful except in general terms. With that in mind, here is what I've used and found reliably accurate for hunting mule deer:

VihtaVuori N-150 = Just a tad over 2900 FPS. with a full case staying within the low end of the pressure curve.

Accurate-4064 = A surprising discovery made while testing other cartridges using this powder. Provides a full case, efficiency and very accurate in my rifle.

Re-15 = Not a full case nor as efficient as the other two but very accurate in my rifle. Just a pinch over 2900 FPS with my chronograph set up.

I'm sure you could make a case for virtually any powder suited to this cartridge/bullet combination but these represent what I'm using currently in this rifle.

Enjoy your rifle and the hunt!

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tenwalker,

I have a 1-14" twist barrel and am therefore only able to stabilize up to most 90 gr. bullets. But, if you're interested in some lighter faster loads, which are perfectly good for antelope, I use 36 grs. of VV N140 behind a Nosler 85 gr. BT. Work up from 33 or 34 gr. If you still want the 100 then start at 32 and work up to 35. The former gives me 3058 avg. out of a 21 1/2" barrel. I can't shoot the latter as it hits the target sideways. For another load you might try starting with 36 gr. of H4350X and work up to possibly 40 gr. with a 110 Nosler Accubond. for about 2750 fps. The heavier loads were from a guy I shoot with at our range who owns a 250-3000 (in Winchester 70)

Anyhow, this is mine. Takedown, with original Marbles flip-up sight. The scope mount is a Pachmeyr flip over. There's a little stop up top which comes down on the front ring and a spring/hook that keeps the scope held down. Plus tension in the hinge. The butt is a "Perchbelly" (actual marketing name for it) and the buttpad (Pachmeyr also) was added on when I got it.Overall, she's about a 1.5 MOA rifle. The real load it likes is the 75 gr. V-max's @ 3200. about 1 MOA for them...usually. I haven't shot anything but paper with it yet, but it will get there someday again.

Edit: I see I got some "factory original" toes in there as well.

vfbk1g.jpg as well.