In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading the 500 Mag.

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
I have been reloading for 38 years. I did some gun trading and ended up with a S&W 500 mag. I have reloaded both 41 & 44 Mag for years. I also cast my own bullets. I purchased Lee aluminum 450 gr bullet moulds. Are there any of you that have used the lee cast bullets? If so I am open ears to any suggestions or any suggestions to folks out there with experience reloading this caliber. I am still waiting for the dies and the brass that has been backorder for over a month. Thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    leadburnerleadburner Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make and load the Lee 440 grainer for a buddy of mine.I have had crimping problems with them (I use the Lee .501 sizer)with RCBS carbide dies.Sometimes the loaded round doesn't fit the chamber.I'm still fiddling with them.I've been loading 34 grns. H-110 for about 1500 fps or so(haven't run them through the crono yet).They do hit steel targets hard and with pretty good accuracy.I do know after srooting the 500 the 44 mag is a ice creamcat!!! A good light load is 16 grns HS-6.Much nicer to shoot.Have fun with your new monster!
  • Options
    leadburnerleadburner Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention for the heavier loads I'm using an alloy of about 18 bnh.This may be a bit hard for hunting, although I'm sure they would just put a big hole in anything you hit.
  • Options
    BLACKJACKBLACKJACK Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chiefr
    I've got a new set of Lee 500 dies that I bought but never got the gun, went with 44 Magnum instead. If you are interested I will put them on a buy it now auction.

Black Jack [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Leadburner. I have H 110 on hand and will give it a try. I have a RCBS .500 size die and Hornady gas checks. I did order RCBS carbide. I Have been shooting 44 mags for years and your right, there is a difference. I got a 6" group at 25 yard with factory ammo. My 44 shoots much tighter. You are right about developing a light load, my plans exactly

Blackjack, I was informed by Midway that my dies would ship on the 3rd. Thanks
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chiefr , I have loaded some 440 gr lead bullets with gas checks on em , not sure what the charge was ( using h-110 ) but 34 gr is somewhere in the ballpark , ( at work right now , but will check & post in the AM when I get home ) I found the hevey bullets somewhat unpleasent when loaded at or near max [xx(] . It just wasn't enjoyable shooting .

I know when you buy a " Hand Cannon " you know what your getting into , but I very much like the Sierra 350 JHP or Hornady's 350 gr XTP's
    Yes , they cost more to load but I found them to be more accurate and alot nicer to shoot .

When you start loading those 500's , even with the carbide dies , you should lube about every 3rd or 4th casing when resizing , it makes a big differnce .
    Keep an eye on which type of cases you get , some take Large Pistol primers , and some take Small Rifle primers

There's lots of data out there for it , enjoy it , and don't forget to load some of those 440's nice and hot for your buddies to shoot [;)][;)][}:)][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    375H&H, you make a good point about using lube even though I will be using carbide dies. These cases have much more area to size than normal pistol cartridges. Sounds like a good idea. I ordered 100 Hdy cases from Midway with expected delivery of Aug 18th. I have had extremely good accuracy with cast bullets and 44, 41, and 357. I must confess, I gave up on steel moulds and use aluminum exclusively. I bet the aluminum/steel mould would stir an interesting debate for some.[:)] The only alum mould available for this caliber is the Lee 440gr. I will try some of the lighter ones in the future. Apreciate your thoughts
  • Options
    smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H

Keep an eye on which type of cases you get , some take Large Pistol primers , and some take Small Rifle primers

375H&H,
    some take Large Pistol and some take Large Rifle primers, I haven't seen any with small rifle primers. I have brass with "L R" in the head stamp and those take Large Rifle primers. I been told that some brass will just have an "R" in the head stamp for the large rifle primer designation.
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the L and R headstamping. I think only the early .500 brass uses large pistol primers. I have some and I believe it was the very first brass I bought. I do not have any experience with cast bullets but with the Sierra 350 grain JHP and the Hornady 350 grain XTP's, 34 to 36 grains of H-110 makes a nice load. Also I have found that 34.2 grains of Lil Gun with the Sierra 350 is exceptionally accurate. As stated above, have fun with the new monster. [}:)]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500S&W brass that takes a Large Rifle primer will be marked with an "R" on the headstamp.
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:some take Large Pistol and some take Large Rifle primers

Your right , my bad [:o)]