In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beginner reloader.

gordo5gordo5 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
Going to start reloading shotgun shells for start , 12 and 10 ga, but conflicted as what to buy ,,SINGLE STAGE,,ETC. BRANDS ETC.SHOULD I BUY PRIMERED HULLS . BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY WHAT BRAND IS BEST FOR A BEGINNER,THAT I CAN ADD ON TO ,DOWN THE ROAD. NOTHING TO EXPENSIVE.

Comments

• Options
    gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always recommend a single stage reloader as a starting point. I own quality progressive in 12 gauge and one for centerfire rifle and pistol. I still use my single stage presses. You will learn the reloading process much quicker and create good, safe loads with a single stage. Once you need higher volume of reloads than you can comfortably turn out with your single stage, then you can/should move to a progressive. A progressive does not turn out better quality reloads than a single stage, it just turns them out faster.

For single stage shotgun reloading, I use and like the MEC 600 JR. I have never loaded 10 gauge so I don't know if the little MEC will handle a 10 gauge or not. You can start with primed cases but I would start with once shot hulls from my own guns. Most presses want to decap the primer during the resizing process, so primed hulls are not very effective.

Buy a good reloading manual and read through it completely before you start reloading. If you can, go to a friend with a reloader and watch/help/practice with the friend.

Good luck with your reloading.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Mec 600 Jr.

I have used one for over 40 years on 12-20-28-410. You should be able to do 4 boxes /hour without any issues. I would start with unprimed hulls. If you are shooting a semi-auto you may find you need a final crimp tool in addition to the 600 Jr. tool. You will need to weigh the powder type through the powder insert, as the charts are not always accurate. Change overs are about 15 minutes.

Follow instructions, it's really quite easy for an average person.

If starting with a progressive be aware that change overs take a great amount of time, and put the machine somewhere that you can have shot on the floor without getting yelled at by the wife.

Welcome to reloading, you'll have a great time.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the benefits of a single stage press for shot shells or metallic rifle and pistol reloading is teaching you the feel of the process.

By feel I mean the resistance and subtle vibrations felt during the press stroke for the job being done. It feels a lot different seating a primer than it does starting the crimp on a shot shell. It feels a lot different seating a bullet than it does belling a pistol case.

All of the jobs are done at once with a progressive press, DURING A DIFFERENT PART OF THE STROKE. By learning the feel on a single stage you will be prepared to more readily feel differences during the press handle cycle that can mean trouble with a progressive.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost1958 <
    Congrats.[^]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks FrancF, I'll try to help!
  • Options
    gordo5gordo5 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx to you all,but now I,m wondering if I can load 10 ga 3 1/2 shells ,I have been looking at MEC //RCBS// all I am seeing is 3 inch..Does someone reload 10 ga 3 1/2.??
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In regards to the single vs. progressive loaders I would recommend starting out with a mec 650 as compared to the 600 jr. Even though the 650 is considered a progressive you still have to rotate it by hand and it does have a shell resizer on it in case you find/buy some empties that you want to reload. IMO I feel that it is still a single stage loader with the benefits of a progressive. You can still view all of the shells both before and after the loading handle has been depressed with the shells in their original position. When you go to a progressive I think the MEC 9000G can't be beat, JMO though. This a great place to have questions answered so don't be shy about asking. Lots of great people here. Good luck

Todd