In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help Lee Pro Progressive

I am somewhat new to reloading, and as a construction worker (if I don't find some more work I will be a ex-construction worker) my funds are limited at this moment. I have a single stage lee loader, but want to upgrade to a progressive. I know that a while back when I was looking that the Lee pro was having some problems with timing and primer seating. I really like lee, now due to price and my own lack of experience but I've always heard good things about Lee, Is this still a problem or should I see if I can hold off for a little while and get a Hornady Lock-N-Load.

Comments

• Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    BEEN USING A PRO 1000 FOR YEARS.
    a lot of years
    they can be touchy sometimes but I'm able to work with it .you have to keep an eye on it
    I'm sure a lot better is out there but lee is what i have for now plus i have 6 turrets set up so cal swap is easy.

i refuse to use the lee auto powder DISK OR MICRO DROP. it has left a no charge more then once for me,(i don't see any way it could skip) (BUT IT DOES)

JUST so HAPPEN TO CATCH ONE ON A CHECK ,instead of at the range

it was 45acp and there was no powder in the case, next few were fine but i rigged it down and put it in the drawer.

so i skip that process with the pro 1000.
    i feel better seeing what is in the case instead of hopeing something is right in there.

and i have 2 other presses set up for the last stage, i also have been using the rcbs uniflow with lg and sm powder drops.
    it has worked out fine so far.

i normally size, de prime, flair, prime a 1000 and store them in a air tight container till i get around to powder and seating some.

my .02
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I own one that is gathering dust. Buy something else. These things will drive you crazy trying to keep them working.
  • Options
    smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own several Lee Turret and Single Stage presses and love them all, however, My dad has a Pro 1000 and it is very finicky, so when I decide to go progressive I went with something other than Lee, save your money and buy something else. If you want something faster than a single stage and cheaper than a progressive, get a turret press.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Lee turret press. It will work in two modes single stage, and semi progressive (my interpretation). I got one in april for under $100, but they are now up to $109 (the last time I looked). Mine took a little fussing with it to get it right, but it has worked fine since. If you are interested I will tell you what extras to get to make it better.

Here's a link to a video that shows it in action, click on the first link.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a Pro 1000 and used the powder drop measure. It hung up like Chev.427 said, cost me a 1911 barrel[B)][:(!][xx(]
    Got rid of the POS and went to a Dillon [;)]
  • Options
    Briansims8Briansims8 Member Posts: 40
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the help, I guess I will save up and get Lock and load. I will hate to spend twice as much but it is better than the problems that can happen with over under powder charges.
    Thanks again all
    Brian
  • Options
    seekersseekers Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the Lee Load Master, I loaded thousands of rounds for my 300 WM, .308 and 10 MM, what I didn't do is use the primer attachment for any of these. It was a PIA all the way, hanging up and fouling up the whole production. So I went to priming all my brass using the lee hand primer and then doing the rest on the Load Master. It went flawless from there. Never missed a powder drop using the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure. I had to sell all my reloading equipment after an injury but I'm looking to get back into it and the Lee Load Master is my first choice for reliability and price. Just the good and bad from my experience.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    I have used this model on thousands of rounds. I too had powder measure problems, but after going to winchester 231 have had no more problems at all. It does have the upgraded lee powder measure, but with Unique powder I had many problems with low or no powder charges. I watch the primer feed every round, and look for powder in every case. Even doing this I can get 300 rounds an hour out of it. Decent equipment for a cheap price, you just have to be careful, and patient getting it set up right.
  • Options
    CartuchoCartucho Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reloading bench currently holds an RCBS Rockchucker, a Dillon Square Deal B, and a Lee Pro-1000 (my second one).

Having some mechanical apptitude will help the process with any progressive reloader. I've learned that listening for changes in the rhythm and changes in the feel of the presses helps dramatically. In other words if it doesn't sound right or doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't right.

Personal experience? I've had zero problems with the RCBS (maximum simplicity, maximum strength). I've had few problems with either the Lee or the Dillon. Fewer problems with the Lee, and it's faster. Between the three presses, I've loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds.

I'm currently experiencing a primer feed problem with the Dillon. As I'm in the middle of a large run of .45 acp, I can't do without the press so I shimmed the entire primer feed system out about .030" and the primers feed as they should. Maybe someone here can tell me what's going on with the feed system.

Several posters here have indicated problems with the primer feed system and the disk powder feed system on the Lee press. I've experienced neither of those problems with either of my Lee presses.

I would'nt hesitate to purchase another Lee Pro-1000. In fact I'm looking at a used one and may pick it up on Tues.